Thursday, August 5, 2021

What Happened to Your Hand?

 

I snapped the photo above during a recent trip to my family doctor.  The painting was hanging on the wall in the examination room.  While I waiting for my doctor to arrive, I walked across the room and examined the painting.  Nice!  I liked it.  I remember reading some solid advice from a little book my Mom bought me over 30 years ago entitled, "Life's Little Instruction Book."  One of the entries said, "Find a doctor your age and grow old with him."  Now, granted, I don't go to the doctor much.  Maybe once a year for an annual checkup.  I think I missed my last two, though.  Oops!

Anyway, the painting caught my eye.  It shows "modern-dressed" children gathered around the feet of Jesus.  They are in a beautiful garden, and a little girl is sitting in Jesus' lap.  Jesus is affectionately showing the girl attention.  The little girl has a look of concern on her face and is pointing at Jesus' hand and asking, "What happened to your hand?"  We see in the Bible that Jesus showed his hands to someone.  In John Chapter 20 Jesus showed his hands and pierced side to "doubting" Thomas in order to help him to believe that it was indeed Jesus before him.  

The 1945 painting by Harry Anderson is tender and touching.  Jesus does indeed love the little children and His scars bear evidence of what He did on that cross for you and for me.

Have you failed in your plan of your storm-tossed life?
Place your hand in the nail-scarred hand;
Are you weary and worn from its toil and strife?
Place your hand in the nail-scarred hand.

Place your hand in the nail-scarred hand,
Place your hand in the nail-scarred hand;
He will keep to the end,
He's your dearest friend,
Place your hand in the nail-scarred hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...