Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Picked a few Watermelons

In the very back of the garden I planted most of the vining plants: louffa gourds, bird house gourds, cantaloupe, and watermelon.  The vines covered everything, threatening to take over the tomatoes on trellis' and even encroached on the walkway.  Now that we're in August, the vines are scaling back and the melons are ready to pick.

I planted Charleston Greys this year.  I thumped them and they sound solid.  They are heavy.  I'm wondering if all the rain we had this year (almost 48 inches so far!) will make the melons more or less flavorful and sweet?

I picked them and carried them inside and will chill them and cut them up.

I still haven't completely regained my smell or taste yet, so I'm not sure that I could truly enjoy eating the watermelon, but I tried.  On Sunday afternoon, we watched "True Grit" with John Wayne (and Glenn Campbell).  I snacked on some watermelon while watching, but sadly couldn't really taste anything.  I'll save the biggest, fattest melon to cut and eat once I get my taste back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...