Monday, May 24, 2021

Buried Treasure Beneath the Monkey Grass

Saturday afternoon I was looking for my wife.  I couldn't find her anywhere.  I checked out to see if she was with Cupcake, our little doeling who we are trying to get to walk.  Not there.  I called for her inside.  No dice.  I looked in the backyard and in the garden.  The little lady was nowhere to be found.  Finally, I opened the front door and there she was.  Tricia was on her hands and knees digging out monkey grass that was spreading out at the base of the oak trees.  Tricia and monkey grass are like oil and water or fire and ice.  They don't mix.  She had a big pile of uprooted monkey grass spread out in the yard.

While digging around in the bed pulling up the monkey grass, she told me she had unearthed an old cassette.  She had it laid by the sidewalk, so I took a look.

Well, I declare.  She had found an old Swamp Pop cassette from Cookie and the Cupcakes, Lil Alfred and Shelton Dunaway.  If you aren't familiar, Swamp Pop is a genre of music around here in Acadiana that mixes rock, country, rhythm and blues and French Louisiana styles of music.  The song that is the "anthem of Swamp Pop" is "Mathilda" by Cookie and the Cupcakes and was recorded in 1958.  The band was based in Lake Charles, Louisiana and the lead singer, Huey "Cupcake" Thierry, was born right down the road in Roanoke.

The funny thing is that we have a goat named Cupcake (name of the band) and another goat named Mathilda (name of the band's biggest song).  Strange!  How this old cassette came to be buried in the monkey grass bed, we'll never know.  The tape housing was full of mud and would never play, BUT, you are in luck.  If you wish to hear the song, Mathilda, from a recording on YouTube, here you go: (Go ahead and click the arrow...





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...