Thursday, June 4, 2020

I Missed Putting Up Tomatoes

I came home from work a little after 6 pm tonight and glanced in the utility room.  I saw that the box that holds our pressure cooker was sitting atop the clothes dryer.  As I walked into the kitchen, I saw a big bowl with tomato skins in it and a tray with just a few still ripening tomatoes on it.  Tricia had already started putting this year's tomatoes up.  I missed the job!


The lid was removed from the pressure cooker as the pressure had subsided. 


The jars were picked up out of the hot water with canning tongs and placed on a kitchen towel to cool.


One year we put up sixty-something cans of stewed tomatoes and forty-something cans of tomato sauce.  We were able to make it the entire year without buying tomatoes.  I don't think we'll do quite so well this year.  Stink bug pressure is very high and we're seeing some blossom end rot this year.  We'll still get around 30 or so jars, so I am happy with that.


I went outside and harvested another bucket of tomatoes.  Maybe I'll make it home to assist in the tomato canning project next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...