Sunday, May 31, 2020

Pea-Pickin' in the Country

I received a call on Friday afternoon as I was driving home.  It was from a gentleman at our church asking me if I would like to come and pick some peas.  We have purple-hull peas and black-eyed peas in our garden, but they aren't near ready.  I told him I'd be there in the morning.  This gentleman doesn't grow a garden - he grows a field.

The next morning I showed up with a 5 gallon bucket and began walking down the rows picking peas.  The previous evening I had seen on the Internet where many of our cities are burning.  Roving gangs of people were damaging businesses, breaking glass, spray painting graffiti, and doing unspeakable things to one another.  It was hard to watch.

As I walked down the rows in the pea patch, it was quiet.  The field was empty.  The sky was clear.  The sunlight brilliantly shone down.  There was peace.  I was very thankful to live in the country, far away from unrest and anger and violence.  The contrast couldn't have been more stark.  It was quiet aside from song birds singing in the distance.


I walked between the rows, picking pea pods from either side, and then I would scoot my bucket a pace or two forward.  The peas were plentiful!


It didn't take me long to fill up a 5 gallon bucket!  I was offered more, but we will have purple hull peas and blackeyed peas coming in a little later this summer from our own garden. 


Russ and I sat in the kitchen and started shelling peas.  I have to tell you, shelling peas and shelling pecans are two of the most relaxing things.  It's not really work.  It is a pleasant task that occupies you while visiting, listening to music or just passing the time at home.  It becomes automatic.  Your pile of empty pea pods grows and your bowl of peas gradually fills.


It is one of those immediate gratification things where you see the fruits of your labor. 


These peas are a local heirloom called "Crack Peas."  I tried to research them on the Internet, but could not find any information at all on them.  We will bag them up in quart-sized freezer bags and cook with some tasso, bacon, or smoked sausage and serve over rice with some cornbread on the side. 


This evening at church, the gentleman offered all church members to go to his field and pick as many peas as they can carry home.  That's what is so great about being in a church family that loves one another and cares about one another.  As we watch our cities burn, many are asking themselves what will make it stop?  Maybe if they could visit the country and spend some time picking peas in the silence, breathing in good, clean country air, they would have a change of heart?

It's like our preacher said this morning, "It's not a skin issue, it's a sin issue.  It's not lack of justice, it's lack of Jesus."  Let's pray for our Country.  God bless the USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...