Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Mail Order Onions

This is the time of the year that we always plant our onions.  I tried one time to plant onions from seed.  It was disastrous.  I didn't harvest a single onion.  One year I'll try again and try to determine what went wrong.  For now, we've found a fool-proof (almost) way to grow onions - we order them in the mail.

We purchase them from Dixondale Farms and you can check them out at THEIR WEBSITE.  They are located south and west of San Antonio, Texas about 25 miles from Mexico.  Their website is very helpful in telling you which types of onions you should plant in your zone.  In South Louisiana we plant Short Day Onions.  I generally purchase a couple of Short Day Samplers which include a mixture of 1015 Sweet, Texas White, and Red Creole Onions.

They ship them to us in early January and the first sunny day we get, we go out to plant them.


The first thing I did is to tie some baling twine from fence to fence to "pop a line."  Then I used a rake to rake back the wood chip mulch that fully covers the garden since we're doing the "Back to Eden" gardening method now.  Once I exposed the soil, I worked up the soil with a hoe.  The soil is teeming with earthworms and that is a good sign!  One thing that is not so good is soil moisture.  Naturally, the wood chips are going to preserve moisture in the soil and that is a great thing in the dry summer month.  But we've had 10 inches of rain SO FAR in January.  The soil is a little muddy right now.

But nevertheless, we pressed on and planted.  I planted the onions four inches apart and planted them 1 inch deep.  You don't want to plant them any deeper or they won't bulb and then you'll just have green onions.

We finished planting them all.  We have planted five 25 foot rows of onions in our garden this year.  If they all make it, we'll have onions to last the whole year.  One thing I have to work on prior to harvest is building some drying boxes.  In the summer when the onions ripen, it is usually hot and humid.  I've had problems in the past with both onions and garlic.  They want to soften and rot.  I have to do a better job of curing and drying so that they will store.  I have a plan!  I am going to build some boxes with hardware cloth bottoms that are the same dimension as a box fan.  Then I'll set the onions in the boxes that are stacked atop the box fan blowing upward and hopefully that will dry them.  That's the plan anyway.  We'll report how it goes this summer upon harvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...