Wednesday, January 1, 2020

2020 Vision

Happy New Year, Everyone!


How could I be that close and yet so far off the track
Well, I've got 20-20 vision but only looking back - Ronnie Milsap

That's some of the lyrics from a good old, classic country song by Ronnie Milsap.  Sometimes I feel just like that.  As I look back on 2019, I can see clearly things I couldn't see while living the moment.  Last year I set three goals.  Let's see how I did:

Goal #1  Read 3 chapters a day in the Bible.  Doing so will get you through the Bible in one year.  I failed in this goal. 

Goal #2  Do at least 25 push ups and 25 sit ups every day.  Doing so will keep me in shape.  I failed in this goal.

Goal #3  Read at least 1 book per month.  I far exceeded this goal.

1 out of 3.  Not good.  Why did I not achieve my goals?  I believe it was because I got distracted.  Work is stressful and involves long hours.  When I'm off, I just like to unwind.  I like to check items off my to do list.  Tricia and me and the boys were talking about goals yesterday and today.  We find that we are pretty, doggone good at setting short term goals and achieving them.  Items on our list that include routine maintenance or chores generally get completed and scratched off the list.

It's the long term goals we I struggle with.  Routine Bible reading builds faith and positions you to learn about and walk more closely with God.  While I truly do love reading the Bible, I admit I find it hard to discipline myself to sit still and read.  I get easily distracted.  I have put this back as the #1 goal this year.

As I get one year older, my metabolism slows and gravity and time takes its toll.  Work is demanding and by the time I get home, I'm tired mentally and physically.  I simply must be more disciplined to keep in shape.  I put this back as my #2 goal this year.

As another year passes by, I realize that I need to do a better job at getting my financial house in order.  We have done a good job with managing debt and sacrificing so that we have been able to save for retirement.  We have not done such a great job in managing our investments.  They aren't diversified, balanced, or allocated properly.  I have added this to my goal list this year.

What we discussed as a family is that it has been proven that if you write your goals down, you are more likely to achieve them.  If you don't write goals down or even if you have long-range goals, but don't list steps to get you toward those long range goals, you experience "drift."  Life just happens and things get away from you - a year later, you find yourself wondering what in the world happened?  I want to live life in a purposeful manner, intentional, and with the end-goal in sight - spiritually, physically, and financially.

Happy 2020 Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...