Sunday, July 21, 2019

Driving Ms. Luna

Luna is our youngest Jersey cow.  She is small - smaller than the rest of the cows by a long shot.  We call her a runt, but she has the bossy personality that defies her small stature.  She bullies the other cows and goats.  It is amazing to watch.  Tricia and I often tell the other animals not to let her bully them around and remind them that she is smaller than them.  They don't understand!

You might recall that over a year ago, Luna lost her first calf in delivery.  In the process, we almost lost her, too.  We were able to save her, though, and kept her in milk.  When Rosie and Clarabelle calved, we "dried up" Luna, because it is hard to milk 3 cows for very long!  Last month, we observed Luna going in heat.  We marked down the date on the calendar and circled the date 21 days in advance.  It is time to get Luna bred.  We loaded her in the cattle trailer.


Although we have 3 registered Jersey bulls on the property, we want to introduce new genetics into our little herd.  We have a friend that lives about 3 miles north of us that has a new Jersey bull.  He is a big bull with grey coloration.  He asked us to bring Luna by his house and drop her off after church this evening.

Since Luna is a runt, we never brought her to the livestock shows.  I had forgotten about that.  When I went to load her into the cattle trailer, she didn't know how to load.  The others just jump right on in.  She didn't know how to step up into the trailer.  I asked Tricia to go get a bucket of feed to coax her up.  While Tricia was on the way to the barn, I pulled and pulled and was able to get her in the trailer.


According to our paperwork, she'll go back into heat this Thursday.  If things work as they ought to, we'll be able to pick Luna up and bring her back home next weekend.


If everything goes as planned we'll bring Luna home as a pregnant cow that will deliver in April 2020.  For now, and until Luna comes home, the rest of the animals on the farm are enjoying their peace and freedom from the barnyard bully.

5 comments:

  1. I so enjoy your blog. I am in Tennessee now, but we lived in Sulphur, LA for 20 years. My husband is from the Crowley/Gueydan area. I enjoy reading about your farm, the weather, and the goings-on in your area.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,
    Thank you for the kind words. We love Tennessee and have hiked many times in the Great Smokey Mountain National Park! I don't know if you are in that area or not. The company I work for has an office in Gueydan and I trained there for a while. I also have a good friend from there. Your husband and I probably know some of the same people. Small world! We love the outdoors and trying new things and learning about homesteading. I grew up in the Kinder area on a farm 10 miles north of there (Oberlin). We love the simple life! God Bless You!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been keeping up with your blog, but I have not had time to write. I broke my ankle on May 15, and that really affected my summer. My husband (Terry) planted a huge garden out at a church friend's farm, and he has had to learn how to run the kitchen pretty much by himself! :) Tonight he picked, shelled, and is canning lady peas. His grandfather Otis Primeaux and his uncle Jasper (Dod) Primeaux ran the Irrigation Pumping Plant for many years on Bayou Queue de Tortue. This provided water for the rice fields in the Riceville area. We heard a lady from France shut it down and dismantled it. We shook our heads over that - wondering if it is true. Terry moved to South Texas at the beginning of his HS sophomore year; we are high school sweethearts. I already knew how to cook good Tex Mex. His mother taught me to cook all the Cajun dishes he loves. The best of both worlds! Keep up the interesting blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are in Jackson, halfway between Memphis and Nashville on I-40.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary,
    I hope things get better with your ankle. I know that must be hard. I am going to try planting lady peas next year. We've never planted those and I heard they are good. Our farm in Oberlin has deep water wells to irrigate the rice, but I'm familiar with the Irrigation Pumping Plants all over the area that pump surface water off of the area bayous into canals to flood rice fields. I know where Bayou Queue de Tortue is. Small world. My wife, Tricia, is from Corpus Christi so I get that good Tex Mex as well. She's also mastered many cajun dishes. We had Chicken Fricassee night before last. I appreciate you writing:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...