Thursday, December 6, 2018

Long Before Social Media

Long before social media people still kept in touch with one another and kept abreast of the goings on of family members, friends, and associates.  Local small-town newspapers were great in getting the news out to the community about newsworthy events.  The communicated not only world news, but events that kept the ladies at the beauty shop entertained and gave the men having a cup of coffee at the counter at the drug store something to talk about.  At the kitchen table, over a cup of coffee, you could find out what everybody's been up to.

Last week my uncle forwarded me a news clipping from The Oakdale Journal dated March 25, 1948 he thought I would find interesting.  (I did!)  Oakdale is a town 25 miles north of Kinder, the town I grew up in.  It is the largest town in Allen Parish with a population of about 7,700 today.  I'm not sure what it had in population back in 1948.  I enjoyed reading this newspaper clipping:

Doesn't reading that transport you back to "Mayberry" and to a much simpler time?  "Little Ronnie Sonnier" is my Dad, and I'm sure glad that he recuperated from his bout with the measles!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...