Monday, June 11, 2018

Experiment in Drying Beans - Red & Black

Yesterday I posted about sunflowers, but realized at lunch today that I never hit the "publish" button; therefore, there will be two posts today.  This one tells of an experiment in drying beans.  Since today is Monday and traditionally "Red Beans and Rice Day," it is appropriate to start with red beans.  I knew shortly after planting that my red kidney bean harvest was not going to be great.  Only about 60% of the beans germinated - bad seed.  I'll try a different seed next year. 

However, I'm not one to give up easy.  I planted other beans in their place, but still watched the red beans.  The point of making dried beans is to dry them on the stalk.  They will load up with pods, mature, ripen and die.  The pod will turn brown.  You know it is time to pick them when you shake the pods and they rattle.

Dried and ready for picking
When you pop open the pod, big fat red beans reside inside.  They were hard and dry and their appearance confirmed it was time to pick them all.

Dried Red Kidney Beans
I picked a small bucket of the dried red kidney beans and brought them inside to shell them.  I like shelling beans.  There's something about transforming ugly, brown pods into shiny beans that excites me.  I'm weird like that.

Dried bean pods
As a kid I remember my mom buying Camelia Brand Red Kidney beans to make Red Beans & Rice.  They came in a clear cellophane wrapper that showed off the beautiful red beans inside.


When the shelling was complete, I had a small bowl of dried kidneys - about half a pound.  Tricia is going to have to supplement some store bought beans to make a good pot of RB&R.  I'll not save any of these seeds.  We'll eat them.

Red Beans with Criolla Sella Peppers behind them
A second, more successful experiment was with drying black beans - also known as turtle beans.  The germination was 100% and they grew and loaded up with pods.  I picked them when they were dry and we shelled them around the island in the kitchen.  The black, shiny beans were pretty, I think.


I had a big bowl full of dried black beans.  This will be enough to eat as well as save about 100 or so for seed.

For seed and for eating
I put them on the scale and the small patch of beans produced a pound and a half of beans.  Not bad for the little experimental patch I grew.


Tricia will make a nice pot or two of refried black beans - one of our favorite side dishes on taco night, along with sliced jalapenos and limes.  Mmmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...