Wednesday, December 20, 2017

How Technology Can Help You Get Up Off The Couch!

There's a lotta laziness going on around here!  Rosie kerplunked herself down in the pasture after she spent the better part of the morning eating hay.


The rest of the girls, although they look a bit more lively and energetic, are struggling with gravity.  The struggle is real.  They just don't have a lot of "get up and go."  Ever feel like that?


Here's another angle showing the herd of couch potatoes lounging in the pasture.  You can see the trail of what looks to be four-wheeler ATV tracks running alongside the fence.  Except they aren't ATV tracks.  It is a trail made by Tricia and me while we're walking side by side.  Lemme tell you a little bit about it.


Although we're very active in the garden and with the livestock, we don't have a real strict exercise regimen.  At 51 metabolism changes and you find yourself not exactly the spring chicken you used to be.  Time for drastic action.  I'm not a technology guy.  I asked my son, Russ, the other day if he knew if there was an App that would track your steps.  "Of course," he said.  It is free and he showed me how to put it on my phone.  It is called Runkeeper:

Okay, this thing is cool.  I've posted a screen print of our walk from yesterday.  It locates you on GPS and graphs your steps, shows total miles walked, how long it took you, what your pace is, and how many calories you burned.  It retains all the information each day and sends you emails telling you if you set any records and/or announces cumulative totals.  

We've gotten in a good habit of walking each day.  When I go back to work, unfortunately, I won't have time to do this anymore - except maybe on the weekends and when the days get longer.  Tricia keeps a very fast pace.  I have a hard time keeping up with her sometimes.


Runkeeper challenges you with emails and texts and encourages you to get up off the couch and get moving.  I kind of like this thing.  The cows, well... they aren't quite so energetic.  They need the Runkeeper app.


HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...