Tuesday, December 5, 2017

A Satisfying and Hearty Meal from the Garden

The day started out warm and overcast with a little fog.  Soon it cleared up somewhat, but a front was on the way, bringing with it winds, darkened clouds full of rain, and cooler temperatures.  I decided to get out to the garden to get some things done and to harvest a few items.  First, I said hi to the dragonfly by the garden and sent him on his way to eat mosquitoes.


With cooler weather coming, I put my order in with the "kitchen" that some homemade cornbread with fresh mustard greens spooned over it would be hearty and delicious.  Tricia and the boys aren't crazy about mustard greens, so I just have a small patch growing.  The mustard greens are young and tender and should be ideal for cooking.


We picked a nice bundle of mustard greens and Tricia took them inside to clean them up and prepare them for supper.


I almost forgot.  I picked 3 vine ripened tomatoes, too.  They were beautiful and almost blemish-free.  The fall crop of tomatoes is always the prettiest, but I think we're going to run out of time and the first frost is going to claim the crop before many more ripen.  But we'll see what happens. 


Tricia cooked the mustard greens down.  I asked her to leave the stems on these.  The leaves are young so the stems should be tender enough to eat.  At the bottom of the pot is the pot liquor.  Pot liquor is the 'broth' left over from cooking down the greens and it is healthy for you.  I like to pour a spoonful over my cornbread along with some greens on top.


So that's just what I did.  The rain and cool weather blew in and a nice meal of rice & gravy with potatoes, carrots, and fresh roast from our Jersey bull we had processed, with sides of oven "fried" okra and then cornbread soaked in pot liquor with mustard greens on top hit the spot!


Here is the money-shot!


Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...