Sunday, August 20, 2017

What Does the Beach Have to Teach?

A couple of weekends ago, we got away for a quick beach vacation two states over from us.  We didn't do anything fancy or luxurious.  We mainly relaxed and enjoyed ourselves away from responsibilities of work as well as life's normal routines. Everyone needs to get away and recharge the batteries for a bit.

Simplicity.  We talk a lot about it back on our little farm, and we talked about it on vacation. Relaxation doesn't have to come with a huge price tag or an agenda full of activities.  To the contrary, all we needed was sand, sounds of the surf, shade from the sun, and a book or two.  The waves continually move forward, swelling...


And then they break, crashing on the shore with a resounding crash that can be heard all the way up to the balcony of our lodging.  Powerful, yet peaceful.


We walked along the beach and picked up a few seashells that were washed up.


Mostly, however, the power of the forces of the waves is displayed by the bits of pulverized shell that accumulate on the beach.


It is hard to look at the expanse of the sea and continuous wave action and ignore the indisputable fact that this bears the signature of the Creator.  In addition to relaxation, the beach has a lot to teach us if we take time to listen.  As Benjamin and I walked along the beach, viewing the waves rushing up on the beach before retreating back, I thought of the following verse:

Job 38:11  New King James Version (NKJV)
When I said, ‘This far you may come, but no farther,
And here your proud waves must stop!’


It also brought to mind a favorite song of mine by Nicole C. Mullen, entitled, "I Know My Redeemer Lives."  Here are the lyrics to that song:

Who taught the sun where to stand in the morning?
And who told the ocean you can only come this far?
And who showed the moon where to hide 'til evening?
Whose words alone can catch a falling star?

Well, I know my Redeemer lives
I know my Redeemer lives
All of creation testifies
This life within me cries
I know my Redeemer lives, yeah

The very same God that spins things in orbit
Runs to the weary, the worn and the weak
And the same gentle hands that hold me when I'm broken
They conquered death to bring me victory

Now I know my Redeemer lives
I know my Redeemer lives
Let all creation testify
Let this life within me cry
I know my Redeemer, He lives

To take away my shame
And He lives forever, I'll proclaim
That the payment for my sin
Was the precious life He gave
But now He's alive and there's an empty grave

Relaxing, slowing down the pace, observing nature, gives us an opportunity to see His handiwork and reflect on verses of Scripture like Romans 1:20 that seem to come alive before our very eyes:

For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse.

I hope you had a great Lord's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...