Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Thinning Out the Seedlings

Before we get to the thinning, I wanted to show you a number of pepper seedlings that I just re-potted into some larger pots.  There is a wide diversity of pepper plants including: Emerald Green Peppers, Horizon peppers, Criolla Sella Peppers, Hot Jalapeno Peppers, Craig's Giant Jalapenos, Banana Peppers, and Cayenne Peppers.  They were planted on January 8th and are growing nicely under the fluorescent lights on top of the cabinet in the utility room.


Now to the thinning.  I plant two seeds to the seed pot, and that means that if I achieve 100% germination, I'll have 8 tomato plants of each variety.  The trouble with having two seedlings growing in each pot is that as they grow, they crowd each other out and get root-bound.  It is best if you thin them out to promote the growth of a healthy plant.  You can see that they are just starting to put on their second set of true leaves.  Once the second leaves are fully out, I'll mix up some fish emulsion at 1/2 strength dose and spray on the foliage to give them a boost.


They are all looking very healthy... except for the Valencia 749 Yellow Tomatoes. My germination percent on these was 0%.  These were some seeds I saved from 2012.  I guess it is time to throw those seeds away!


Here are eight Cherokee Purple Tomato seedlings that I need to thin.  Most publications will tell you to get some scissors and cut off the weakest of the two at soil level.  I always think, "Why destroy a perfectly fine tomato?"  I separate the roots of the two plants and transplant into another container so that I have eight seedlings each growing in its own seed pot.  I have assembled a highly specialized tool that enables me to separate the roots and transplant the seedlings without damaging them.  That tool is a plastic fork.

Pink Brandywine Tomato Seedlings
I simply press the fork straight down midway between the two seedlings and scoop upward while holding the other down.  It is easily lifted and transplanted.

A plastic seed transplanting fork
Then I fill the seed pots with some organic potting mix, give them a good sprinkling of water and put them back under the grow light.  They have a little "elbow room" now.


As I placed the plants back underneath the lights, something caught my eye!


Well, it's a ladybug hanging out with the peppers and tomatoes.  That's a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...