Monday, January 16, 2017

Like a Kid in a Candy Store

I like candy.  I'm not gonna lie.  I am like a kid when it comes to shopping for it.  I like sour candies, especially, but also like dark chocolate and licorice.  I like finding old fashioned candy at places like Cracker Barrel.  I'm trying to slow down on the candy, though.  There's only one thing I like shopping for better than candy - SEEDS!

Ever since I've been a little kid, I've always loved to grow things.  In a story I've probably told more than once (sorry), I can remember being just a little boy and running outside and planting my fruit cocktail.  It didn't grow.  Imagine that!  I can remember sticking toothpicks in the side of an avacado seed and placing it in a jar to watch it grow.  I can remember school projects where we sprouted green beans in paper cups.  Growing things has always interested me - always has and always will.

There's nothing better than to get out the latest Seed Catalogs from heirloom seed companies and stretch out in front of a fireplace on a cold winter day and order seeds.  The varieties of different seeds are interesting.  The photos within the pages of the catalogs make you want to fill your shopping cart with one of each!


I pulled out my seed inventory in which I maintain our records of both purchased seed and saved seed and then determine which seeds I need to order and/or replace. After reading through each page, I made my order online.  Saturday when I went out to check the mail, yep, you guessed it!  I had a package waiting!  It was sealed up tightly in a bubble-wrap envelope to keep the contents safe.


I ripped open the package feverishly and pulled out the contents one by on and laid them out on the table.  This year I replaced some of our old favorites, but I also found a few new things to plant.  I want to try my hand at growing black beans.  I also want to grow some red kidney beans.  I've never grown them before, but I'm going to give it a try.  In looking at our disaster plan, I realized that if TEOTWAWKI happens, some of my preparations are lacking, namely, how do you cook red beans and rice if you don't have red beans?  I hope to remedy that this year!!


Here's the other thing that I like about ordering seeds.  One of the companies I order from, Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, sends several packets of free seeds in with your order.  We call that lagniappe or "a little something extra or free."  I laid all the seeds on the island in the kitchen and admired them.


Looking over the seeds - the variety and beauty and promise of new, interesting vegetables, I got excited to get out and start working the soil.  Still too early for that,but I am reminded that Thomas Cooper said, "A garden is never as good as it will be next spring!"  I'm already planning! It is going to be my best garden yet...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...