Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Election Day 2016

Today was Election Day.  We set the alarm back 30 minutes earlier than usual so that we could go out and milk the cows and I could shower, shave, get dressed and go to the polls and do my civic duty in time to make it to work in Lafayette on time. I drove up in the dark to the volunteer fire station that is my polling place and even at 6:15 there were many people already voting.  Looking at the book where I signed my name, I could see that many people had already taken advantage of early voting.

After I voted I pulled the curtains back and one of the friendly precinct workers asked if I wanted an "I voted" sticker to wear on my shirt.  Of course I said yes. When I got to work I pulled it off my shirt and stuck it on my Day Planner.  I really liked the sticker!  Take a look.


For those that aren't familiar, that is the famous "Blue Dog" painted by George Rodrigue, Mr. Rodrigue was a painter who was originally from New Iberia, Louisiana.  He went to USL and spent lots of time near Bayou Teche and began painting many scenes of Louisiana landscapes - big live oak trees draped with Spanish Moss and other Cajun themes.

The paintings that really catapulted him to fame were the 'Blue Dog' paintings, featuring a blue dog with searching yellow eyes.  The blue dog was inspired by Mr. Rodrique's deceased dog, Tiffany. Here is what George Rodrique said about the blue dog courtesy of Wikipedia:
"The yellow eyes are really the soul of the dog. He has this piercing stare. People say the dog keeps talking to them with the eyes, always saying something different. People who have seen a Blue Dog painting always remember it. They are really about life, about mankind searching for answers. The dog never changes position. He just stares at you. And you’re looking at him, looking for some answers, ‘Why are we here?,’ and he’s just looking back at you, wondering the same. The dog doesn’t know. You can see this longing in his eyes, this longing for love, answers."
— Rodrigue on the Blue Dog
The Louisiana Secretary of State authorized the blue dog "I Voted" stickers to entice people to come out and vote.  I read that people really like the stickers.  In fact some Louisiana residents are selling their blue dog stickers on eBay for $18 each!  Wow! I shouldn't have stuck mine on my calendar!

Like Rodrigue's quote above about the blue dog on my election sticker, I think the election is truly about mankind looking for some answers.  Like the blue dog, we're all longing for love and answers. The trouble is, no political candidate has the answers.  Regardless of the outcome of this thing, we shouldn't look to man or woman for answers.

Fortunately for us, the Bible has the answers and speaks about elections - although not the type of election we're watching now - a much more important one!:

Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall: For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.  2 Peter 1:10-11

Keep the faith!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...