Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Bottling the Homemade Tabasco Sauce

Back in August, we posted THIS POST EXPLAINING HOW WE MAKE HOMEMADE TABASCO SAUCE.  We allowed the tabasco sauce to age in the refrigerator for about three months. In past years I saved a few hot sauce bottles and I'm glad I did.  I wish I had more now.  So I gave the tabasco sauce in the big bottle a good shake, retrieved a sieve and a funnel and began the process of bottling the hot sauce.

To do this I poured the hot sauce through the seive and used a spoon to push the sauce on through. The more liquid portion of the sauce flowed through the funnel and into the two bottles that I had on hand. The mash was left in the sieve.  Now there is at all nothing wrong with leaving the mash in the sauce.  The only problem with that is that it doesn't flow well with the skins and seeds still part of the sauce.


When I had run out of bottles, I had some 'mash' left in the sieve.  Should I throw it away?  Put it in the compost pile?  Both of those are decent options, but we're going to do something different with the tabasco sauce mash.

The Monster Mash
Tricia had made some Carne Guisada and some homemade corn tortillas.  A lightbulb went off in my head and both Russ and I were thinking the same thing. We took a warm corn tortilla and using the back of a spoon, we slathered the tabasco sauce mash evenly on the corn tortilla.  Then we filled the tabasco mash smeared corn tortilla with carne guisada.  The tabasco mash gave the dish a real 'bang!'

We have many more tabasco peppers ripening on the plant right now.  I'll likely pick some more and get another batch brewing.  No dull, flavorless meals at our supper table!!  Our Tabasco Sauce takes care of that.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...