Sunday, September 25, 2016

They're Baa-aack!

Saturday morning started off beautifully.  There was a faint north breeze blowing, just teasing us that fall was on its way.  We got up early and got our chores done and then cleaned up the buckets and started a pot of coffee brewing.  We read a morning devotional and I looked out of the kitchen window admiring the gorgeous day in front of us.

Something caught my eye flying past the window.  I looked toward the column that supports our side entrance and my initial thoughts were immediately confirmed. BEES!  In THIS POST we talked about how our honeybees had left their home and our job of removing the column and cleaning the rotten honeycomb out of the column with bleach and a pressure washer.


I told Tricia, "You won't believe what's outside."  She looked and saw bees flying around the column. She wasn't too happy about their return.  How could this bee? (pardon the play on words).  They left. We cleaned out all of the pheromones that could have attracted them back, I thought.  Tricia said, "I thought you caulked the gap at the top to block their return?"  I then remembered that I had only put one 'bead' of caulk and was going to let it dry before putting another layer on top to completely block the entrance.  I never seemed to get around to putting that second layer.  That teaches me to finish a job!  

The flight of the honeybee (back home).
So the bees have moved back into the column.  I would love to know the story behind this.  Is this the same colony that left?  If so, why did they come back? Where did they go?

Home Sweet Home
Back home after a summer vacation, I presume...  Welcome home, old friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...