Thursday, September 8, 2016

Riding off into the Sunset


Image Credit
Riding off into the sunset evokes a feeling of finality.  In other words, "my work here is done, it is time for me to go."  Happy trails to you... and all that.  As I was gathering my thoughts tonight for the blog post, the visual of riding off into the sunset came to mind.  Not because anything is ending.  As a matter of fact, a new beginning has occurred as I posted about IN THIS POST. 

The reason the riding off into the sunset imagery comes to mind is that that is exactly what I'm doing now in my new job.  An old friend from when I was the Business office manager at the Jennings Hospital told me that his cardinal rule for accepting employment is that his workplace must always be located west of where he lived.  I didn't understand why that geography played such a determining factor in his employment decision until he clarified and told me that if you live east of where you worked, well then on your morning commute, the rising sun would always be at your back and consequently, the setting sun would be at your back on your commute home in the afternoon.

That makes perfect sense, doesn't it?  I violated my former coworker's rule and now I see why that was an important factor to him.  I have been getting my money's worth out of my sunglasses - that's for sure!  The commute to work to my new job is exactly the same mileage as the commute to my old job, but it takes me between 5-10 minutes less to get there, because it is primarily all Interstate 10 miles (with no red lights or school zones.)  But in the morning... Yep, the sun is right in my eyes. Same thing on the way home.  It is as if I-10 is the runway for the sun.

How is the actual job itself?  Well, I'm the General Manager of a Restoration Company and I have zero knowledge of construction, so my learning curve is quite steep!  I have been learning new computer systems and new policies and procedures and just a whole new line of work.  With the flooding damage in the area, we're busier than a mosquito at a nudist colony.  It has been only three full days on the job, but I can see that it will be months before I am fully trained and comfortable in the new job.

Because of the shorter days, it gets dark faster and there's not a lot of time to get things done around the house when I get off in the afternoon like earlier in the summer.  And I have a lot of garden work to do!  Until I have an opportunity on weekends to get out and about and get some things done around the homestead like till, pull up rows and plant the Fall 2016 garden, I won't have many photos or stories to share with you, but I'll do my best to keep my ramblings going as much as I can.  It is not time for me to ride off into the sunset yet in that regard - just on my way home from work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...