Wednesday, August 26, 2015

A Good Investment

The roller coaster ride that has been the stock market this week has made me think about investments. I have heard people say they are fearful to look at the current market value of their 401-Ks, wondering about what tomorrow might bring and sorrowful to see portfolio gains become losses. ExxonMobil stock, described as a "widows & orphans" stock is down 31% for the year.

I found a good investment in the the garden that I wanted to share with you.  Its value isn't affected by Federal Reserve policy, the Chinese economic outlook, or America's GDP forecast.  A few weeks ago when the foliage on the cucumber plants was lush and green, I somehow missed picking a hidden cucumber.  I only saw it after it was as orange as a pumpkin.  Once they turn even a little bit yellow, they are bitter and inedible, but don't despair, this is a perfect cucumber - for saving its seeds, that is.

This variety is an heirloom, open pollinated Boston Pickling Cucumber variety.  It is not a hybrid and therefore, the seeds can be saved and planted next year or in future years.  Here's how we did it.  First, I allowed the cucumber to continue ripening until the plant itself died and it turned a little soft.

Way overripe and soft
I brought it inside and carefully cut it open, breaking it in half so that I wouldn't cut through any of the seeds.

Exposing the seeds of the cucumber
I used a spoon to scoop out the seeds, placing them in a bowl.  There is some pulp in the bowl along with the seeds, but that is nothing to worry about.  You don't need to pick it out.


I added some water to the bowl and stirred it up, mixing it all up nicely.

Added water to the seeds
Now, I just placed the bowl in the window sill and stir it up each day.  By the third day, it will have a mold growing on top of the water and the fermented cucumber concoction will stink like a rotten possum carcass on a blacktop road in mid-July.  

That's not an optimal fragrance for your kitchen window sill, but that is what you want - you want the cucumber seed to ferment. Fermenting the seeds mimics what happens in nature.  The fruit actually rots and the seeds inside ferment and this makes the seed water permeable, softens the seed coat and increases the germination percentage.

A smelly bowl of rotten cucumber seeds/pulp
I pour this stinky soup into a colander and run water over them.  The water breaks up the rotten pulp and cleans the seeds, allowing the smelly stuff to run on through, resulting in clean seeds.


Then I place the seeds on a plate and put it back on the window sill for a few days to completely dry. Every so often I stir the seeds with my fingers, turning them over and un-sticking them from the plate.

Drying the seeds
After day 2 or 3, the seeds are completely dry.

Dry cucumber seeds
I read somewhere that the average cucumber has 150 seeds in it.  Judging from the seeds in my hand, I'd estimate there to be 100 seeds there.  In the same publication, I read that the average heirloom cucumber plant will yield 2-3 pounds of fruit per plant.  One might think that I have a bunch of seeds in the palm of my hand. Actually, looking at it conservatively, I actually have about 200 pounds of cucumbers in my hand!

Seeds as an investment
There are lots of things that can go wrong between now and the harvest of the cucumbers next spring, but I would say that the seeds are a productive investment, with high yields, nice returns, a nice upside potential of unlimited growth.

Yes, the stock market may be subject to the vagaries of investor psychology, but my little ibuprofen bottle of Boston Pickling Cucumber seeds tucked away in my seed saving drawer will be there for me even if though Social Security won't! 

Cucumber seeds - (take 2 as directed)
Saving cucumber seeds, a good investment.  It also pays great dividends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...