Thursday, February 12, 2015

Getting Ready to Plant Potatoes

If the weather cooperates, I usually try to plant potatoes around Valentine's Day.  I asked Tricia to keep her watchful eye for when Seed Potatoes arrive at the Feed Store for sale.  Sure enough, she showed up with a box of seed potatoes - both red and white ones.

We had a nice crop of potatoes last year and we've been successful in storing them for months with little to no spoilage, simply by not washing them after harvest and putting them in stacked milk crates that allow good airflow, and then storing them in a cool, dark place.  This just happens to be a little closet we call the 'mud room.' We keep the door shut and there is an air conditioning vent that keeps it nice and cool.

In a decision that may prove to be in error, I asked her to go back and get some more seed potatoes. I put them on the scale and we have a hair over 11 pounds of seed potatoes.  Although I can't remember, last year I think we planted between 3 and 6 pounds of Pomme de Terre (Apples of the Earth)!  I assure you, if we plant too many this year, they won't go to waste.

Seed Potatoes from Parsley's Feed Store in Jennings
Last year we were able to save some potatoes that we harvested from our Spring potato crop to use as seed potatoes in planting our inaugural Fall potato crop.  I learned that we planted a little bit late. For 2015, I'll get them in the ground sooner.

Now you can see that the seed potatoes have some nice, healthy eyes growing.  Each eye will grow its own potato plant.  Although you can plant an entire potato, I think it's best to cut them up and that was my task night before last.

The Eyes of the Potato
All you need is a sharp knife and a watchful eye.  The goal of this endeavor is to cut the potato up so that each chunk of potato has an eye on it.  Depending on the size of the spud and the number of eyes on it, I'll cut them into as few as two pieces or as many as four.  The trick is, you don't want to cut the eye itself, so when you slice the potato, you spin it around the backside to ensure you aren't cutting one.  You also want the chunks to be of a good size as the growing potato plant uses the potato itself as 'food' to grow on.  Cutting it too small would mean the young plant wouldn't have enough nutrition to grow well.

I cut this one in two pieces.  Can you spot the eyes on each side?  Each piece of potato below will develop it's own distinct plant, yielding a nice bounty of delicious new potatoes that we'll enjoy cooked with butter and fresh picked green beans in about 3 and a half months.  <Stomach growls at the thought of this event>

The Eyes have it
You don't want to immediately go and put the cut up seed potatoes in the ground. That would result in some of them rotting.  After cutting them up, I'll leave them in a box and stir them gently for about a week or until the cut pieces develop a 'scab.' That simply means the fresh cut has healed and dried. I counted them up and once I finished, I had 117 individual potato chunks to plant!  Not all of them will grow, but the majority will, and that is a lot of potatoes.  I'll normally dig up young potato plants and replant them in the gaps in the row where the seed potatoes didn't sprout to ensure I have an efficient use of garden area.

Curing, cut-up Seed Potatoes
I'll watch these closely until the perfect day arrives to plant them.  According to the 2015 Farmer's Almanac, on February 14 - 15, it says "Any root crops that can be planted now will do well." Looking at the box of cut up potatoes naturally makes me a little hungry.  I could just as easily take the box inside, slice them up, and eat them.  But that's a little lesson in delayed gratification you learn in gardening (and life): Hopefully, by foregoing satisfaction and enjoyment now, you'll experience an eight to tenfold reward in the future at harvest time.  We DID see that last year.  I wish I could say the same about my investments over the years...  Oh well.

Now we just wait and see if we have good planting weather on the 14th or 15th.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...