Thursday, November 27, 2014

Random Thanksgiving Thoughts

Image Credit
Give thanks to the LORD for He is good, His lovingkindness is everlasting.
From my distress I called upon the LORD;
The LORD answered me and put me in a large place.
The LORD is with me, I shall not fear.
What can man do to me? Psalm 118:1,5-6
Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.  Oh sure, anyone who knows me knows how much I love food and we began preparing a feast that we'll be consuming over the next several days - all our favorite stuff to eat.  But it's not really about food.  Our two college kids drove in and tonight when we said grace before the meal, we gave thanks that all five of us were once again under one roof.  It doesn't happen often and I relish every minute.  We laughed, talked, and played Scrabble in front of a roaring fire in the fireplace.  Quality time indeed.  I am thankful for our family.

This past week I spent some time with a gentleman who lost a son to cancer a couple years ago.  The pain of his loss was still evident as his voice cracked and tears welled up in his eyes when telling me about it.  Life with our loved ones is so precious.  We really don't know how much time we have on this earth.  Each day we wake up and inhale is a blessing.  I often take health for granted.  I am thankful for health.

This afternoon Tricia and I had a cup of coffee in the early afternoon.  It was a picture perfect day with the rays of the sun shining through the trees and a nice breeze blowing.  For some reason I began to think of how fortunate we are and remarked to my wife that we are surrounded by family that are so generous to us, supporting us, and praying for us. They are there in our times of need and they bless us much more than we deserve. We have a church family and friends that are so giving to us.  It is embarrassing how good God has been to us.  I am thankful for loved ones that God blessed us with.

{Honesty Alert} And yet, I complain about our lack.  I compare myself to others, I envy other peoples' lives, their experiences, position in life, and things, and it is shameful, really.  On Dave Ramsey's radio program, when he takes calls, people will ask, "How are you doing?"  And he always answers, "Better than I deserve!"  I can relate to that.  We always have been taken care of.  We've never gone hungry or lived in squalor.  We have a (new) roof over our heads, and (good) food in our bellies.  We're living the life.  I am thankful for provision.

My God is a good God.  He has so richly blessed us.  I am thankful for my God who reached out to me, forgave my sins and saved me.  1 Thessalonians 5:18 tells us "In everything give thanks, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

Have a Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...