Monday, February 17, 2014

The Love Carrots

I love carrots - but that's not what this post is about.  I'll get to that in a minute. Sunday afternoon after a great lunch, I ventured out to the garden.  I have three rows of carrots that need to be harvested.  With a little over 2 inches of rain last week, the ground was soft and conducive for carrot pulling.

I started working on the Cosmic Purple Carrot row.  We've gone through this row several times now, picking out all the biggest, nicest looking carrots.  Today, I figured I would harvest all that we have left on the row so we could cook some in butter tonight and blanch and freeze the rest.  Carrot pulling, regardless how soft the soil is, is back breaking labor! I filled up three quarters of a five gallon bucket with carrots while feeding the carrot tops to the cows.

Some dirty carrots
I brought the bucket of carrots up close to the water hose and adjusted the nozzle to the jet setting and sprayed off all the dirt and mud.  What a transformation!  It's as if you turned on the lights or something.

All cleaned up
I pulled off the remaining carrot greens and root hairs and left those, along with the muddy water, in the bucket.  I'll go pour that all back in the garden.  I don't want to remove one bit of topsoil that I worked so hard to build from the garden. 

An overflowing colander of carrots
Now, getting to the title of the post, while pulling cosmic purple carrots, not two days removed from Valentine's Day, I unearthed what I call the "LOVE CARROTS".  I was a little embarrassed at first in interrupting the carrots' cuddle-time.

Love Carrots
But in the end, I pulled them up and separated them.  Sorta sad as they seemed inseparable.  Impossible to tell which one is the better half!

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...