Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Wintry weather on Our Maker's Acres Family Farm

Living in the Deep South, winters can sometimes be very mild.  I can remember wearing shorts in December many, many times.  This year was a little different.  We had two waves of Arctic-like weather that visited us and made life miserable for a few days.  We all wondered how in the world people who live up north can endure this for months on end.

Sleet/snow mix on the ground
My tubs that normally catch rainwater off of the roof was catching frozen precipitation.  I went around the outside of the house and wrapped the water spigots. Low temperatures got to 21 degrees and it didn't get over freezing temperatures for more than a day.  I attempted to drive in to work one day like a crazy man, but quickly realized my folly and came back home.

Ice in the bucket
Although cold, there is nothing as beautiful or pure as fresh snow/sleet as it starts to accumulate on the ground.  A couple of my college roommates were from Illinois and Michigan and they both told me that it is only beautiful for a few days.  Then it becomes grey and dirty and the long days of winter in the north are gloomy.  
Simply beautiful
Benjamin went outside and threw some snowballs.  Yes, even home-schooled kids get "Snow Days!"  He enjoyed sliding around on our icy driveway!

Ice skating on asphalt
He got his scooter out and slipped and slid up and down the driveway.

Slip Sliding on the scooter
Big Boy, our Great Pyrenees, has a nice winter coat that keeps him warm, but we brought him to the back patio to get out of the weather.  As for us, we kept a nice big fire burning continually in the fireplace.

Wintry Weather
When looking through a Jeffers catalog, I always marvel at the heated water troughs to keep the water in them from freezing so that the animals can drink freely.  I found out why people need those type troughs.

Hard for cows to get to the water...
I had to bust up the inch thick sheet of ice on top to get to the water underneath.  I broke a bucket in the process.

Breaking the ice!
With a nice layer of sleet and snow over everything, we were a little concerned about the animals.  We left the barn door open for them so they could get out of the elements.  Normally they aren't allowed to stay in the barn.  They aren't very good house keepers!  We made an exception to that rule with the cold weather. Rosie was shaking since a couple weeks prior we had clipped her for the livestock show.

A layer of wintry mix over everything
I guess we were most concerned about the 99 meat birds that we have out on the pasture.  I spent time prior to the weather moving in adjusting the four heat lamps we have hanging in the tractor.  I also added a nice layer of hay and then wrapped the chicken tractor in tarps.

They are about 3 weeks old right now and they are fat.  I told Tricia that if we lose power, we'd probably lose all of the birds.  I was prepared to butcher them all, should that be the case since they appear to be the same size as Cornish Hens.  So I apprehensively walked out to the chicken tractor, lifted the door on the top and found...

Frozen Roof

Chicken water reservoir froze
All of the birds were snug and warm.  The heat lamps were doing their job and the water in the bell waterer wasn't even frozen.  Those birds put off a lot of body heat.  I climbed inside and shut the door after me so that the warm air wouldn't escape and was amazed at how cozy it was in there.

Warm, albeit smelly, meat birds
This next photo shows how I have the heat lamps spaced evenly so that the 99 birds don't pile up on one another and get suffocated.  I was really surprised with how well the chicken tractor kept the birds warm and cozy.
Birds under heat lamps
As I check the weather forecast tonight, I see that it will be 72 degrees on Saturday. Wow, a 51 degree swing in 4 days.  We'll put away the flannel and sweaters and we'll be wearing shorts come Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...