Saturday, January 4, 2014

Planting the 2014 Tomato Crop

I normally plant my tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant each year on January 1st, except I didn't get it done this year. There were other things going on that kept me from doing it, but today, January 4th, I completed the task.  A few days won't adversely affect things, though.

The first thing I did was make some name tags or markers for each row of seeds.  It is important to ensure that you know which seed is which.  I just cut up a plastic sour cream container, cutting the ends into points, and then use a Sharpie to notate the seed varieties on it.  Today I'm planting 14 varieties of heirloom tomatoes:

  • Thessaloniki
  • Abu Rawan
  • Valenciano 749 (saved from a previous year)
  • Black Krim
  • Arkansas Traveler
  • Mortgage Lifter
  • Money maker (saved from a previous year)
  • Organic Beefsteak
  • Reisentraube
  • Gypsy
  • Amish Paste
  • Big Rainbow
  • Black from Tula
  • Pink Brandywine

I'm also planting the following peppers: Jalapeno, Cayenne, Criolla Sella, Sweet Chocolate, Purple Beauty, and Anaheim.  Finally, I planted Louisiana Long Green and Applegreen Eggplant varieties.  

Homemade Seed Variety Markers
In years past, I saved the plastic containers that plants come in when you purchase them.  I re-use them each year to start my seeds in.  First I spray the containers with a bleach/water solution to kill any bacteria that may cause disease.  Then I fill the containers up with garden soil and get all my seeds together.

Ready to Plant
I put one seed per seed pot since they are small.  I will plant 6 seeds from each variety.  In past years, my germination rate has been almost 100%, so hopefully that will continue.

Sowing Seeds
I sprinkle a quarter inch of soil on top of the seeds I've sown.

Covering the seeds with soil
I was able to get 12 of the 14 tomato varieties planted on one tray.  You can see the seed markers that mark each row of 6 seeds at the very end of the tray.  I used additional trays to plant the other two varieties of tomatoes, as well as the peppers and eggplant.

If germination is perfect, this tray will contain 72 heirloom tomato plants
The top of my workbench contains all the tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants that I planted today, but I'm about to bring the trays inside.  Since it is warmer inside, that is where the seeds will germinate best.  


I place the seed trays on top of some cabinets in our utility room.  Since hot air rises, this will ensure a good environment for the seeds to sprout.  First I use a spray bottle to spray the soil with water to moisten the soil. This will cause the seeds to swell and begin to sprout.

Moistening the soil
Here is a picture of all the seed trays on top of the cabinet.  Once the seeds germinate, I'll move a 4 foot grow lamp on top of the trays to promote growth.

Waiting for green sprouts
The seed package said the the tomato seeds should sprout in 10 days, but from past experience, I'm seeing sprouts in 3 - 5 days.  I'll keep them indoors until the danger of frost has past and then I'll plant them in garden.  I'll update once we see sprouts. Even though very cold weather is on the way, our plants will be warm and toasty in the utility room while they wait on Springtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...