Tuesday, December 24, 2013

On the First day of Christmas My True Love Gave to Me

Acts 20:35

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
35 In everything I showed you that by working hard in this manner you must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He Himself said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.’

We're in the Christmas season, right?  This is the season of giving, we're told.  I ran across this from ABC news and thought it was interesting:  Popular Gifts 1913 and 2013  This piece compared the most popular gifts in 1913 and then again 100 years later, in 2013.  Are you ready for this?

Most popular presents in 1913:
1.   Candy
2.   Nuts
3.   Rocking Horse
4.   Doll
5.   Mittens/gloves
6.   Toy Train
7.   Oranges
8.   Books
9.   Handkerchiefs
10. Skates

#1 on the list: Hard Candy
In the words of a popular Dolly Parton song, "I'll be fine and dandy, Lord it's like a hard candy Christmas. I'm barely getting through tomorrow, but still I won't let sorrow bring me way down." 

Most popular presents in 2013:
1.   Furby Boom
2.   Teksta Robotic Puppy
3.   LeapPad Ultra
4.   Flying Fairy
5.   Big Hugs Elmo
6.   Barbie Dreamhouse
7.   Giggly Monkey
8.   Nerf Gun
9.   Ninja Turtles
10.  Lego

Behold the Furby Boom 
Now I understand progress.  Many of the items on the 2013 list are just modern day dolls, which was #4 on the list.  I get that, but the thing that stands out to me is the simplicity of the 1013 list: candy, nuts, an orange. Not only the simplicity, but the practical nature of some of gifts.  I would submit that the mittens/gloves weren't #5 because they were fashionable, but because they were functional - they kept your hands warm. The handkerchief probably wasn't a Ralph Lauren handkerchief.  They just needed one to blow their nose!


If you are like me, you have things on your 'list' that you want and need.  I find that when I sacrifice and save my money and purchase that item, I never am satisfied.  I begin looking to get the next item on my list.  You know, the one that will make life better, easier, and save time?  But it never does.  And so begins that futile, endless quest to find the thing that will make you satisfied and happy.  It makes me wonder...

Has my threshold for contentment and satisfaction been raised to unsustainable levels?  Have I become greedy, materialistic, and covetous?  Am I selfish and spoiled? How much does it take to make me happy? What does it take to give me real contentment and joy?  There's nothing wrong with giving gifts or accepting them. I love to give things to my wife and kids, family members and friends that I know will make them happy.  The bottom line, to me, is where does our true, lasting contentment come from?  I need to remember where the PERFECT GIFT can be found:

James 1:17

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
17 Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow.

I constantly need to be reminded of this.  Thank you LORD!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...