Sunday, October 13, 2013

Strutting Turkeys

When walking out in the shady part of the pasture the other day I saw something that I hadn't seen.  Our two Tom Turkeys were strutting and fluffing out their feathers.  We only have two Tom Turkeys - no hens.  Male turkeys will puff their breasts out, fluff up their feathers and fan their tails to make themselves look bigger and attractive in order to attract turkey hens.

Strutting Tom
The only problem with this scenario is that we don't have any turkey hens.  We purchased two young toms so we will have holiday turkeys to eat.  The odd noises that they make and the way that the strut around the pasture has made me want to get more of them.

Tom all fluffed up
I wish old Tom would attract a female turkey so that we'd have a breeding pair, but I haven't seen any wild turkeys around our place.  Once these become Thanksgiving Dinner, we'll have to look for more Toms and hens to replace these for next year.

Fluffed up Tom with beard showing
I will miss these two guys patrolling the pasture and I have to keep reminding myself that farm animals are for food  - not for pets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...