Monday, August 5, 2013

Cracking Pecans

This post could also be subtitled, I'm a Rocket Man!

I'd like to introduce you to the Reed's Rocket, one of two old pecan crackers that I have.  Last year I posted about cracking pecans and showed you one pecan cracker and this year I'm taking care of business with another.  This one has "Reed's Rocket, Little Rock, Arkansas, Patent Pending" engraved on the side. I researched a bit and found that it was manufactured by the Arthur W. Reed Manufacturing Company in 1950.

I like using old stuff - stuff that was well-made, American made - back when things were built to last.  I'm not sure this ole boy would still be working if it had Made in China stamped on the side of it.  It would probably be in the bottom of some landfill for more than several years now.

This thing makes you think of American ingenuity and I picture some fellow tinkering around in his garage trying to figure out a better way to crack pecans and eventually inventing this tool.  I can envision Mr. Reed calling his wife to the garage with pride once he was finished, and saying, "Ethel, I've done it.  I've created the Reed's Rocket.  Behold, a tool that will change our lives!"  I'll bet Ethel was thrilled and bragged on her man the next day at the beauty parlor.  This implement is marvelous.  This thing is a beauty.  I've got four big bags of pecans to crack and the 'Reed's Rocket' is up to the task.

Reed's Rocket Pecan Cracker
If you flip the Reed's Rocket over to the side, there is something written on it that gives it more significance.  O. Sneve.  This is my grandfather's name.  Sneve (rhymes with gravy) is a Norwegian name.  This was my grandfather's (on my mom's side) pecan cracker.  My grandfather's family immigrated from Norway and settled in South Dakota.  My grandfather came down to Camp Claiborne in Rapides Parish in central Louisiana to train for WWII.

My grandmother and some friends of hers went to a USO dance at Camp Claiborne and the rest, as they say, is history as they got married right before my grandfather went off to war.  Isn't it neat how things happen?  Anyway, my grandfather, whom we affectionately called Poppy, was quite a man - an exceptional man.  He fought in the Battle of the Bulge.  After the war, he came back and settled in Southwest Louisiana and owned an operated a grocery store for almost 50 years.  He was known for his honesty, integrity, and compassion and concern for his fellow man.

"Poppy's Pecan Cracker"
I usually take a couple of big zip ties and fasten the 'rocket' to a bench and position my sack of pecans right next to me.  I place a bucket to my right for tossing cracked pecans and another bucket to my right for the pecans that are rotten or are empty shells.  Once you get in the groove, it is a smooth process and you don't even think about it.  Man and 'Rocket' are like a fine oiled machine.  At our local feed store, you can bring your pecans and for 30 cents a pound, they have a machine that will crack them for you.  When you walk in the store, you can hear, "Crack, Crack, Crack" as the machine does the work.  I could bring all these to the feed store, BUT WHERE IS THE FUN IN THAT?

Here is a peek inside one of the four sacks of pecans that we gathered this past fall from our pecan trees. The pecans are pretty small, but they are very rich and oily and good eating.  They are worth the trouble to crack and shell.

A sack of pecans ready to be cracked
The Reed's Rocket has the ability to crack any size of pecan.  All you do is screw or un-screw the threaded part of the rocket to fit the size of your pecans.  Then you place a pecan in the rocket.

The Rocket is ready for take-off
 Simply pull down on the lever any you'll hear a delightful crack.

C-r-a-a-a-a-c-k-k-k-k-k!!!!
When you lift the lever back up, the pecan has been cracked.  You could open it now and separate the nut from the shell, but I like to get a good, fast process going and I toss all the cracked pecans in a bucket.  I'll bring the bucket inside and I'll shell the cracked pecans while watching TV or visiting with the family.

Freshly cracked pecan
Here are a few cracked pecans in the bottom of a bucket.  I have a long, long way to go!

Making a start
The other night we sat around and watched The Walton's and I shelled a few cups of pecans.  I separate the shells from the pecans.  This sort of makes a big mess in the house so Russ, thankfully, got out the vacuum cleaner and cleaned up after me.

Progress
I'll do a little quality control on the pecans.  Some have bad spots.  Some are just not good.  Some need to be tasted, if you know what I mean. 

Several cups of pecans ready to put away
I dump all the pecan shells in the compost bucket.  I find that it makes a great soil amendment and adds to the soil structure.

The shells go in the compost bucket
The pecans themselves either get eaten OR they get put into quart or gallon freezer bags and get stored away in the freezer.  We eat on them all year long.  We were down to our last quart bag from last year when I noticed and decided I better get to work on this years' pecan inventory.

Ready for the freezer
Although shelling pecans is a lot of work, it beats buying them from the store.  Pecans are expensive!  As an added bonus, it is special to be able to use something of my grandfather's to provide something good for my family 30 years after Poppy's passing.  It brings back good memories of a good man.  Who knows, if the good Lord tarries, the Reed's Rocket may get passed down to another generation for another generation of cracking pecans and fond remembrances.

4 comments:

  1. we recently came upon one of your REED'S ROCKET NUT CRACKER and it has the sale ticket on it from Rathbone Ace Hardware. and we were wondering what it would cost today to buy one of thes items. Would you please let us know Thank you Mary K Berry berrymary817@gmail.com Hopefully some one will read and answer this

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a model R300 still in the original box .
    The patent must have been approved because it reads “ manufactured only by ARTHUR W. REED MANUFACTURING CO .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your post. A.W. Reed was my great grandfather and he loved working in his shop in Little Rock, Arkansas. You almost had it right my great grandmother's name was Elizabeth not Ethel. My dad would spend summers there working with his grandfather in the shop. My mom went to work there in 70's and met my dad there. The shop was passed down to my uncle Clarence who ran it for many years. My great grandfather passed away when I was around 4 years old. It makes me happy when I see one of the original nutcrackers at estate sales or flea markets because I know his legacy is still out there.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...