Friday, August 2, 2013

A Fresh Bale of Hay

I had mentioned earlier that the boys and I picked up 100 square bales of Bermuda hay from a neighbor.  It is high quality hay.  We have it all stored up in the loft and we ration it and feed it to the cows once the colder weather hits.  We normally keep some round bales of hay on hand that I purchase from another neighbor.  The cows graze on grass and we give the cows that are in milk a small amount of Dairy Ration (feed) while we milk them, but we like to place a round bale out for them to eat whenever they want.  You can see the remnants of the old bale just to the right of the hay ring in the photo below.

Russ (and Big Boy) opening the gate so we can roll the bale out.
We wait until the cows have eaten the bale down to the ground.  Cows can be very wasteful and picky! When the bale has been mostly devoured, I get a stick and roll the baling twine around it to save for other uses.  You'd be surprised how many things you can use baling twine for.  I tell you, it's almost as useful as duct tape.

You really don't need a tractor for moving round bales as long as you aren't moving them far.  Since they are round, they roll.  This is only true for fresh bales, though.  Round bales that have set out for a while aren't perfectly round anymore.  They become oblong and are difficult to roll.

The bale is rolled into place
I place a hay ring around the bale to protect it.  The ring sort of paces the cows in their eating and keeps them from wasting as much.  Cows aren't real particular about table manners and will poop and pee right at the "table."  This mixes with the hay on the ground and becomes good compost.  After a year or so, I'll scoop it up and incorporate in the garden.

Girls, supper's on!
In no time flat, Daisy, Rosie, and Maggie come running, similar to the way humans do when they put fresh things out on a buffet table.  They are more interested in hay right now because it hasn't rained in a while. The grass in the pasture is withered and not as lush as it once was.  Additionally, the cows are pragmatic.  We're in the middle of a hot, dry summer.  The hay is in the shade.  Why go walk in the sun in the pasture when you can eat in the shade?

Cows around the hay bale
Much like workers in break rooms or around the coffee pot or water dispenser at the office, I imagine the cows standing around and gossiping.  I always wonder what they're thinking or if they like us.  Tricia always tells me they just like food! 

I can't understand the language Jersey cows speak, but I'm sure they are telling me, Thank You!
This was the last of the round bales that I had on hand.  I emailed the person from which I purchase the hay and placed another order for 6 bales.  He'll deliver today or tomorrow.  The girls have been eating a couple of round bales each month.  If we get a good rain, it will spark new growth in the pasture and they'll slow down on the hay.   That's a good thing for the pocketbook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...