Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Re-potting the Tomato Seedlings

The tomato seedlings are really growing and it is high time to separate them and re-pot them into bigger containers in order to prepare for putting them in the ground in the quickly approaching Spring weather.  It was February 5th today and it was 80 degrees!  I'll start with some Valenciano Yellow Tomatoes first that I have planted.  As you can see, there are ten plants in six compartments.  That is a pretty good germination rate as only two didn't sprout, but I want to re-pot them so that I only have one plant per container as I don't want them to crowd each other out.

Time to re-pot
I normally re-pot them when they put their first set of true leaves on.  The first leaves are cotyledons.  The
true leaves are the ones that resemble tomato leaves.  You can see them below.

True leaves on a tomato plant
With the help of a plastic fork, I carefully scoop out all of the starting mix from one of the compartments.  You want to be real careful that you don't damage the delicate root system. 
Scoop out the soil - careful, though
I use the fork to separate the root system of one tomato seedling from the other.

Separating the two tomato plants from one another
Using the "Sanford and Son" salvage method, I rescue coffee cups from trash can in the break room at work and re-use them for transplanting the tomatoes into. 

Caffeinated tomatoes?
Since I'll be transplanting and re-potting a number of different varieties of tomato plants, I label the containers so I don't get them confused.  I simply use a Sharpie to write the variety on some freezer tape and then label the cup once the plant is re-potted.


Finally, I mix up some fish emulsion in my water sprayer and give the plants a good, strong mist to give them a good start.  This stuff stinks since it is ground up, powdered fish, but it gives the plants a good boost and makes them green and healthy.
First container of Tomatoes re potted
I'll work on re-potting the next varieties perhaps tomorrow night.  Whew!  Once done with all of the tomatoes, I'll have to re-pot the Eggplant and peppers as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...