Thursday, February 7, 2013

Meat Chickens at 8 weeks old

Here is the last posting showing the chronology of the growth of our meat birds prior to butchering day - which will be this Saturday, February 9th.  The intention of this on-going series is to show you the remarkable metamorphosis that takes place between Day 1 and Eight or Nine weeks, when these Cornish Cross Chickens reach maturity.  Nothing, and I mean nothing, grows this fast... except for maybe our National debt.
One day old baby Cornish Cross Chick
 
One week old chick sporting new white wing feathers

Two week old chick in that uncomfortable adolescent stage

Three week old chick putting on weight

Four week old Cornish Cross chicken

5 weeks old

6 week old Cornish Cross Meat Bird

Meat bird at 7 weeks old
And here below is the eight week old Cornish Cross Meat chicken in all his glory.  Not really.  He's sort of an ugly fellow.  Take a look at this guy.  Then scroll back up to the first photograph in this post.  What a difference!  There is really not much of a comparison when you compare our laying hens that are RUNNING across the pasture chasing bugs to the meat birds.  This meat bird couldn't run if he wanted to.  If you notice, I've placed him on top of the roof of the chicken tractor.  I don't have to worry about him getting away.  He is heavy, doesn't move around much, lives a sedentary lifestyle, has weak legs, and is prone to heart attacks.  I'm not talking about the effects of the traditional American diet.  I'm talking about the Cornish Cross breed of chicken in general.  It is amazing how quickly they grow, but that growth rate takes its toll on their bodies.

A Cornish Cross Meat Chicken at 8 weeks old
Saturday is butchering day and I have to start getting ready.  I have knives to sharpen and ice to make.  Then I have to start setting everything up.  We'll capture the whole process and show it in a few days.



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your photos. This answered a lot of my questions before I try raising meat chickens myself.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...