Sunday, December 2, 2012

Treats for the Chickens

This morning the cows were bellowing for another bale of hay.  Russ helped me push an additional bale out in the pasture and then put the hay ring around it.  As soon as we pushed the hay bale out of the way, there was a pretty neat sight beneath where the bale had been.  Check it out.  White grub worms.

White grub worms
 We scooped them all up and put them in a Frisbee.  I looked them up on the Internet to see what these turn into.  From what I can gather, these white grub worms are the larval stage of what we call the "June bug."  The chickens will call them lunch.

A platter of protein
Russ and I carried the big, juicy grubs out to the expectant diners in the barnyard and set out the special of the day for them.  In no time at all they were all over the grubs.  We have a saying around here when you want to underscore how fast something is, you say, "They were faster on that than a chicken on a June bug."  Well, I guess the same holds true for a June bug larvae, because the chickens were all over them in no time at all.  
Ma'am, would you like to dine in or would you like that order to go?
The hens made quick work of the grubs.

I'll have the same thing she had.  Hold the mayo, please.
 Before you knew it every last one of the grubs were gone...

Sally Hennypenny finishes off the last grub
 After watching that spectacle, I weeded the garlic rows to get rid of all the winter grasses that are competing with the garlic.  I threw them over the garden fence.  Just to show you that chickens are indeed omnivores, I snapped a shot of the chickens eating the grass after chowing down on all the grubs.  Like humans they enjoy greens with their meat.

After the grubs, I like to cleanse my palate with some fresh greens
Nothing beats a homegrown, fresh, well-balanced meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...