Monday, December 10, 2012

Trees

I've always loved trees - especially live oaks.  Maybe because they're so majestic.  Maybe because I have some fond memories of climbing in a great big old live oak at the farm in Oberlin that is perfect for climbing.  It has what is called a resurrection fern growing on its branches.  In a dry spell it looks dead, but after a rain, the fern perks up and 'comes alive' - hence the name, I guess.


Anyway, the famous poem below kind of illustrates what I'm talking about:

Trees

 
by Joyce Kilmer
I think that I shall never see   
A poem lovely as a tree.   
   
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest   
Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;   
   
A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;   
   
A tree that may in summer wear   
A nest of robins in her hair;   
   
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;   
Who intimately lives with rain. 
   
Poems are made by fools like me,   
But only God can make a tree.

We spent a bit of time this weekend digging up and moving some citrus trees from one place to another.  We had originally planted them underneath the canopy of a live oak in the back yard.  This was not a good idea.  I assume the canopy blocked the sunlight and the root structure of the oak robbed the citrus trees of water and minerals it needs to grow.  The trees were stunted and it was high time we moved them.  We also moved some crepe myrtles that had grown too big for the existing bed to another location.

Russ and I got our shovels and tried to dig around the root ball far enough away from the trees so as not to disturb or cut any roots.  Unfortunately we couldn't avoid cutting some of them.  We'll just have to hope the trees recover.  The majority of the root structure was fine, so I think they'll be okay.


The hole is dug, water added and we're back filling soil on the crepe myrtle
 
Chopping up the dirt so it fills up the hole nicely
 
Johnny Appleseed & Son replanting the crepe myrtle
Here is one of the citrus trees, a satsuma, to be specific, that will take the place of the persimmon tree we chopped down.
  
Replanting the Satsuma Tree
I always have some trees in pots at various stages of growth.  Lots of times lemon, orange or lime trees will grow up in the garden from seeds that we throw in the compost pile.  You can see a citrus in the photo below that I carefully dug out of the garden.  The mystery of what type it is will be solved as soon as it bears fruit, making it kind of fun.  There's also a pine tree that was growing in the flower bed that needs to be replanted.  I've picked out a spot on the perimeter fence to put it so it will provide some shade to the cows on those hot summer days.

Various sapling trees in pots
Some oak trees I grow from planting acorns.  Tricia and I were engaged on the River Walk in San Antonio in 1990.  Walking in front of the Alamo, I picked up a pocketful of acorns from some Alamo oaks that night.  My goal was to sprout them and grow them and one day when we're old and gray with grandchildren running around, I'd be able to point at a big old oak tree growing in the yard and tell them the story about the day their grandma and I were engaged.  Well, the plan started out good.  One acorn sprouted and grew into a nice oak tree about 3 feet tall.  At least it was 3 feet tall the day someone at the apartment complex we were living in uprooted it and killed it.  Oh well.  We're making memories in other ways that won't be uprooted.

But I'm kind of stubborn and I don't give up on an idea easily.  Five years ago a family member was in a hospital in Tallahassee, Florida.  I picked up some acorns from a live oak tree on the grounds of the hospital and planted them, anticipating a recovery.  One of the acorns sprouted and grew.  As did my prayer for a full recovery as it was answered.  One day I intend to give this tree to the loved one to remind them of the tremendous obstacles they've overcome and also to remind them that GOD is GOOD!  This is the 5 foot tall live oak tree below:

Live oak
To add some extra meaning, I picked up some Spanish Moss from one of the live oaks on the LSU campus and placed it in the tree.  It seems to be flourishing.

Spanish Moss in the live oak tree
 I've heard some wise words before from someone who advised me:
The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, the second best time is today. 
Better get busy!  Time's a wastin'...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...