Monday, January 8, 2024

Jalapeno Hot Sauce (Part II)

Way back on November 30th, we showed how Benjamin and I made Jalapeno Hot Sauce.  Well, it turned out so good, that it is gone!  In a little over a month we devoured a quart of the stuff.  Rather than being a hot sauce like Tabasco, Crystal, or Louisiana Hot Sauce, it was more like chow-chow.  It was good, but not really a liquid.  To put it on eggs or rice and beans or anything else for that matter, you had to use a spoon.  That's not really a problem, but we wanted to make a hot sauce that flowed.

We have so many peppers!  Jalapenos, Anaheims, bell peppers, criolla sellas.  We're going to make jalapeno hot sauce with these and then dry the rest of them and make ground jalapeno pepper for seasoning. 

For this recipe, we'll use the following:

  • 20 jalapenos
  • 1/2 cup onion
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • salt
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup white vinegar

I sliced up the jalapenos, minced the garlic and chopped the onions.

I splashed the olive oil in the bottom of the Dutch oven and sautéed the peppers, onion, and garlic for about five minutes on high heat.  I added salt.

The aroma of the mixture permeated the kitchen.  It cleared out my sinuses!

Then I added the two cups of water and let it cook for about 15 minutes.

All the liquid was boiled off, leaving the jalapeno/onion/garlic mixture.  I pulled off the burner and allowed it to come to room temperature.

This was put into the food processor and as I pureed it, I poured the 1 cup of white vinegar into the processor.

Once liquified, I used a funnel to pour the jalapeno pepper sauce into 2 hot sauce bottles that we had saved.

Tonight, Tricia made a Beef Vegetable soup.  It was fresh.  Everything came from right here on our little farm.  It was raining outside and chilly, so the hot soup hit the spot.  I was able to test our new pepper sauce.  I unscrewed the cap and poured several squirts of hot sauce in the soup.  It flowed!  The flavor was GOOD!  Spicy, with a kick.  This is a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...