Sunday, November 12, 2023

An Eye For Pies

Proverbs 23:21 KJV - For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags.

I have to tell you my weakness.  Sweets.  I've never met a dessert that I didn't like.  I don't even know how to rank my favorites.  Do you have a favorite dessert?  Might you be a confectionary confederate?  As I ponder that deep philosophical question of what dessert is my favorite I would have to say homemade pies.  There is just something about a homemade pie!  Now, I would never look down my nose at a store-bought pie, but goodness gracious, a pie made from scratch with a nice meringue sends shivers down my spine.

On Sunday afternoon right after lunch, when we've pushed the dinner plates aside and set the coffee to brewing, that's the best time to cut open a homemade pie.  Tricia had told us that she was working in the kitchen on Saturday whipping up a Chocolate Pie with a meringue and homemade crust.  It had been chilling in the ice box overnight.  With the the after-church meal complete, our anticipation level was red-lined, we waited with all the patience we could muster as the pie was served and brought to the table.  Would you just look at this thing it all its glory?

We savored each bite and, I'm not the slightest bit embarrassed to tell you, we licked our plates clean.  Like animals, savages even.  Let's keep that information between just you and me, shall we?  We wouldn't do that in front of company.  We're not that uncouth.

Well, you can about imagine my excitement Saturday night, when Tricia notified the pie guys (Benjamin and me) that homemade pie was on the menu for the Sunday after church dinner.  This time, she was pulling out all the stops, for it was homemade Coconut Cream Pie on the menu.  Good golly, Miss Molly.

We generally like to talk around the table, planning the week ahead, talking of events of the last week.  We keep a list of conversation starter questions that we ask of each other.  There wasn't a lot of conversation during dessert time as we primarily just ate pie.

As I pontificate on pies, it reminds me of something.  When I was growing up, we would travel to a place in LeCompte, Louisiana called Lea's Lunchroom.  We'd eat ham with collard greens and butter beans and cornbread.  His specialty was homemade pies.  Who knows?  Maybe that started my affinity for pies.  Mr. Lea, who resembled Colonel Sanders, would walk around and greet all the patrons of his restaurant.  He was a southern gentleman.  He'd walk up to the table and shake my hand and say, "Boy, yo momma and daddy brought you to Sunday School today?"  I'd answer, "Yessir."

As I was writing this, I had the recollection that he was on the Johnny Carson show.  Wouldn't you know I found it on Youtube!  Enjoy the clip by pressing the button below.  (Then go enjoy a slice of homemade pie!)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...