Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Getting Ready for the Next Phase

Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.  James 5:16 KJV

Your prayers have certainly availed much!  Since 2013, this has been a homesteading blog of sorts, primarily the rambling of a foolish man who loves the outdoors, old-fashioned ways, and living an agrarian, country, God-fearing lifestyle, close to God and nature.  Since Sunday night, the blog has taken a different direction, but we'll return to our regularly scheduled programming at some point.

Thank you, prayer warriors, for lifting up our Benjamin.  Our Lord has strengthened him and we're seeing marked improvement.  As I finished up my work today and drove to the hospital, I didn't even turn on the radio.  I thanked God.  My baby boy is alive and will begin rehab soon.  We have a long ways to go, but we have a plan.  I'll talk to you about that more in a bit.  

Before leaving to head to the hospital in Lafayette, I fed the chickens and cows and goats.  It was quiet and peaceful.  Still no rain, but the morning temps were in the 60's.  It feels so nice after weeks of 100+ weather.  It still rises to the 90's in the afternoon, but we have so much to be thankful for.  As I got off of I-10 on Ambassador Caffery and veered off onto Bertrand Drive, I passed in front of the Borden Dairy.  I always like murals painted on the side of buildings.  This one on the side of the Borden's Dairy building is exceptional.

The whole cow family is there for the family portrait.  They give you the Dairy best.  I'll be telling you about our own Elsie and Rosie and LuLu and her little bull calf, Nicky, maybe later this week. 

I couldn't wait to get up the elevator and make my way to the 10th floor to Benjamin's room.  He's out of ICU and in his own room now.  Tricia has been sleeping on the couch in his room.  From his window you can watch Acadian Ambulance Air Med helicopters land on the roof.  They counted 6 or 7 on Saturday night into Sunday.

Benjamin ALMOST rode in one over here from Lake Charles, but a more life-threatening case arose and he got the regular ambulance instead.  What a blessing it is that those in need of life-saving help can get to the hospital in expedited fashion.


Before heading to the hospital, I took a photo of Benjamin's cat, Ginger, to show him.  I think Ginger misses old Benjamin.  He was happy to see his kitty cat.

Okay, I'll cut to the chase.  Here's what's been happening:

Physical therapy has been coming to his room every day.  They put a brace on his back, sit him up in bed and using a slide board, put him in a wheel chair.  The plan was to sit for 2 hours, but the pain was severe, he got light-headed and couldn't make it.  They got him back in bed.  That is normal - when you've been in bed and get up quickly and your legs aren't toned, all the blood rushes from your head and you could pass out.  They tried it again today and it was better!  He was able to sit for 2+ hours!

He then pushed himself down the hall in the wheelchair.  Soon, he'll be wheeling himself out of the hospital!

His pain is getting better or more bearable.  Today, he made it 8 hours without needing it.  We had asked you to pray for urination.  They took the catheter out yesterday at 2:30.  They gave him until 8:30 to pee before they put it back in.  He was feeling pressure down there and began trying.  He was working so hard because he didn't want that back in.  After much straining and effort, he was successful in peeing a little bit.  They did not have to put the catheter back in.  He continues to pee a little at a time and he is worn out from straining, but he is peeing.  Answered Prayer!

We had asked you to pray for #2.  Remember, it was a secret.  I hope you've told no one.  Well, last night after an enema, he was successful.  Today, without an enema, he was successful.  It was a moving experience - both literally and figuratively.  As I cleaned him up, he apologized, "I'm sorry, Dad, you have to do that."  Are you serious?  I've never been so happy to clean you up, Benjamin!  Answered Prayer #2!

The doctor's made their rounds today and have cleared Benjamin to be released to an in-patient rehab hospital.  We don't know for how long, but we've been prepared for a long recovery process.  We had asked you to pray about direction in where to go.  After much prayer and hours of telephone calls, texts, and emails, we have chosen Lake Charles Memorial In Patient Rehab hospital.  I called them two mornings ago at 8:03 AM and introduced myself.  The manager who answered my call said, "Mr. Sonnier, I'm so glad you called.  We have been praying for Benjamin."  We think God has gone ahead of us and prepared the way.  She spent an abundance of time with me and answered all of my questions and has a wealth of knowledge as well as personal experience with Benjamin's injury.  I emailed her when I got back from the hospital late last night and she was answering my emails at 10:42 pm last night.  Wow!  We have peace with our decision. The paperwork is being processed now and Benjamin is ready to be transferred (hopefully tomorrow if all goes well) to begin the next phase of his recovery.  Answered Prayer #3

God, You are SO good to us.  Family and Friends, you have been so faithful to pray.  We talked about change.  One day things are normal and then all of a sudden, they aren't.  Change is inevitable.  When change comes, we have learned that it is imperative to remain anchored to One that does not change.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...