Sunday, June 18, 2023

Father's Day 2023

On March 1, 1993 I became a father.  Laura Lee was born.  I remember feeling so ill-equipped, so humbled, yet so thankful.  I drove the car home from the hospital, slowly, carefully, like I was transporting priceless cargo.  I was.  Then came Russ and a little later, Benjamin.  Now, they are all grown up and on their own.  We are empty-nesters.

(l to r) Russ, Benjamin, Laura Lee

Parenting was a task like none other I had ever faced.  You can't just "wing it."  You can't delegate it to others.  You want to do a perfect job even though you know you are far from perfect.  On Father's Day I think of my Dad.  I'm thankful to God for him.  He provided a model.  He loved one woman and kept our family together.  He provided a safe, secure, and stable home.  He provided for us.  He ensured that we were in church and he and Mom gave us a home with an active prayer life and Bible reading.  For that I am so thankful.  Thanks Dad.  I love you!

Father's Day is tough as a father.  In times of reflection, I look back and wonder if we did a good job with the children that God blessed us with.  Did we prepare them?  Did we give them a solid Christian foundation prior to launching them into the world?  I think about regrets I have for things I did.  I think about regrets I have for things I didn't do.  Did I measure up as a good father?  As long as we still have breath, there is time to fix things, to heal.  

See, nothing else matters other than relationship with God and with family.  Money, job, accolades, worldly success.  All of it is but a fleeting vapor.  I love my God.  I love my wife.  I love my kids!
Happy Father's Day Everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...