Monday, April 17, 2023

Not Enough Sense to Come in Out of the Rain

Saturday morning it rained.  It wasn't a torrential downpour.  It was more like a slow, soothing, soaking rain.  It rolled in from the west and deposited 6/10ths of an inch of rain.  Before it started coming down in buckets, I walked out to the barn to put the goats inside.  There was an old saying people used to say about people who weren't too sharp.  They'd say, "Ol Kyle, he ain't got sense enough to come in outta the rain."  Sometimes they're right.  Conversely, the animals RUN to the barn to get under the protection of the tin roof of the barn.  Cows, goats, and chickens alike skeedaddle to stay dry.

I have two videos to show you today.  I got stranded out at the barn while the spring showers passed over.  I wasn't in a big rush so I sat out and took in the sight and sounds of a nice spring rain.  Here is the first one.  This is looking southward toward the little piece of woods that borders the sound end of our property.  I have my egg collecting baskets hanging from the rafters of the main barn.  The hen house is the structure you'll see close to the woods.  That's why we catch so many possums in our traps and snakes in the nesting boxes.  I need to get out my sling blade and clean up the encroaching wilderness!


I ran around to the north side of the barn and sought refuge with the cows.  You can see the two big water troughs that fill with rainwater running off the roof.  You can also see (curiously enough) a badminton racquet hanging from the rafters on this side.  It is a nifty tool I use to kill carpenter bees that like to drill holes in the 2x4s that support the tin roof. The video also shows Rosie, LuLu and Elsie high and dry.  

The best part of the video is the sound effects.  If you turn up your volume, you can hear the relaxing sound of rain falling on a tin roof along with the added bonus of hearing the thunder roll.  If you're not careful, you'll fall asleep!  Around these parts, many people grew up on a wood frame house on piers with a tin roof.  We had a camp in Oberlin at the farm just like that.  I tell you, there's nothing quite like the sound of rainfall on a tin roof.  Someone, (my brother-in-law, maybe?) told me one time the story of a lady who got married and moved into a brick home with a composite shingle roof.  She missed the sound of rainfall on the tin roof so bad, she made her husband lead a sheet of tin against the side of their house so when it rained, she could hear those soothing, nostalgic sounds!

As I stood there listening  to the rain, I couldn't make it back to the house without getting soaked, so I began to think of songs about the rain.  Here's my list:

Elvis    Kentucky Rain

Ronnie Milsap    Smokey Mountain Rain

Keith Whitley    I'm no stranger to the Rain

Conway Twitty    Rainy Night in Georgia

BJ Thomas    Rain Drops Keep Fallin' on my Head (Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid

Albert Hammond    It Never Rains in Southern California

Boy, those songs sure bring back some memories!  Do you have some favorite songs about rain?

1 comment:

  1. Not a song, but Rain rain go away little Johnny wants to play Cime again another day!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...