Monday, January 30, 2023

Spring's 'A Comin'

Yes, it's still a little cold out there, and rainy.  The weatherman shows temps in the 30's later this week.  Too early to be thinking about the spring garden?  I don't think so!  In fact, I went by our local feed store last week and picked up 10 pounds of La Soda potatoes for seed.  Tricia had put in our order and they saved them for us.  We ask them to hold some back as they usually go quickly once they come in.

I talked to a neighbor at the feed store who was walking out with his box of potatoes as I was walking in to get mine.  We joked that all we need now is some dry weather.  If we'd put them in the ground now, they would rot with all the rain we've been getting.

After getting home, we lit a fire in the fireplace and kicked our feet up.

But we couldn't just rest.  No sir, there's work to be done.  We have 10 pounds of seed potatoes to cut.

While sitting in front of a roaring fire on a cold, rainy day.  I cut up the potatoes, trying my best to cut each one into chunks with an eye in each piece.  Each one of those will grow it's own plant and make numerous potatoes.  


Once they were all cut up, I spread them out and put them on the top shelf in our closet.  It's the warmest place I could think of.  Up there, they'll scab over and hopefully each eye will begin to grow.  In about ten days, if the weather cooperates, I'll plant them in the garden ground.  One thing I've learned is that the very best gardens are those you dream up on cold, dreary days.  Whether the garden comes to fruition or not is another story...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...