Thursday, June 30, 2022

To Put in Place

The days are long now.  Tricia and I have embarked on a new routine.  After we milk the cow and do the afternoon chores, we walk.  We take Belle with us.  Tricia sets a fast pace.  As you can tell, I've drifted behind.

I have a goal each day to walk 10,000 steps,  That equates to about 5 miles.  There is a step counter on my phone and that's how I track it.  The trick is to get your heart rate up, so you've got to try to do your walking all at once and briskly.  You burn between 250 and 600 calories in a walk of 10,000 steps, depending on your weight.  It is enjoyable.  Tricia and I talk about plans, goals, and sometimes I just ramble.

On days that Tricia doesn't walk with me, I generally will listen to a podcast.  I like listening to the Art of Manliness podcasts.  They are on a wide variety of topics that are really interesting to me.  The podcast lasts for about 45 minutes, which is perfect for the walk.  Yesterday I listened to one that discussed a concept called "Mises en place."  In French that means "to put in place."

It was about efficiency and the talk was from a chef who wrote a book based on how to tame the chaos that goes on in the kitchen of a restaurant.  Even though you may not work in a restaurant (I don't), it was an interesting talk.  First, mises en place.  Everything must be put in place.  A chef has everything prepped, everything within arms reach.  Everything is there so that you don't have to move your feet.  So, at your desk, if you are right handed, is your phone where you have to reach across your body?  Your pens?  Reorganize your workspace to make the most of your motion and effort.

Lists!  I am definitely a list guy.  Lists are good and chefs use lists.  However, have you ever found that of the seven things on your list for today, you only got four done.  The other three move to the next day, which already has nine things on it, so you are always chasing your tail?  Yeah, that's me.  The podcast explained that a list is nothing without a calendar and an element of time.  When you make a list, have a calendar and allocate time, schedule the item at a particular time, so it gets done.  

The call back.  The podcast says that in the kitchen of large restaurants it gets crazy.  Yelling, movement, clanging, banging...  Despite that, there is communication.  It's the call-back.  Someone comes in and says, "I need 3 filets medium rare and 2 chopped salads."  The meat guy calls back, "3 filets, medium rare," and the salad guy says, "2 chopped salads comin' up."  Once the orders are called back, the first person leaves, knowing his communication was retrieved and understood.  That's a good concept in business (or marriage!)

Clean as you go.  If a kitchen at a large restaurant is dirty, people can die!  Bacteria, cross-contamination.  It'll get you.  Cooks keep their work area clean - for safety, but also for clarity.  If the dishes and cutting boards, pots and pans are piling up, you can't think straight.  Once it piles up, it seems overwhelming, but if you clean as you go, it's manageable.

Lot's to think about.  Those concepts work in the kitchen, the homestead, or the workplace.  Tomorrow, I'll think some more about how to implement some of these ideas to tame the chaos.

Right now, I'll finish getting my steps in and enjoy the sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...