Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Pickin' The First Green Beans of the Season!

The cool days of spring are gone.  The mornings are in the 70's and the afternoons are in the upper 80's.  The warmer weather has kicked the garden into high gear.  I checked on our three rows of snap beans and believe it or not, two of the three were ready for harvest.  It wasn't a big harvest, mind you.  Most were still small, but we'll be picking every other day now.  We intend on blanching and freezing a bunch this year.  We were completely out!

Here's my favorite variety of green bean:

They are so tasty!  I went down the row and picked a few and put in a colander.

You'll notice these are 'flat,' unlike normal round green beans.

They are simply delicious.  Some call these Italian Green Beans.  The official variety name is Roma:

The second row had a few that were ready as well.  These are a different variety, one I've grown for years.  They are big producers.

I quickly picked a handful or two walking down that row and put them in a colander.

These aren't flat.  They are round like normal green beans.

And this variety name is: Contender:

I'm just having a little fun, spelling things out with our produce.  The only thing more fun is eating them.  I'm going inside to steam them and melt some butter over 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...