Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Nothing's Cozier Than A Fireplace

There is a silver lining to every dark cloud, right?  That's the way I'm trying to look at things anyway.  The two Hurricanes in 2020 that affected us were Laura and Delta, and although we personally (Russ did) didn't have any property damage to speak of, we did have a number of trees on our property that 'got a haircut.'  Some lost some pretty large limbs, specifically one of the pecan trees up front.  So, the destruction of the hurricanes at least gave us some firewood.  And we were out!

It was sawed up and stacked in the back, but still needed to be split.  I generally like to wait for cold days to split wood.  Last week we had weather in the 30's during the day and in the 20's at night.  I figured that was perfect log splitting weather.  I got out the trusty ax and began swinging.  I warmed up fast.  The chickens always congregate as the split firewood exposes huge white worms that the chickens love to eat.  Sometimes, they'll get a little too close for comfort, and I have to watch my swinging.


Since the logs are a year and four months old, some of them are easy to split with the ax.  Others are full of knots and the wood grains are twisted.  The ax bounces off of it.  In these cases I have to go to Plan B.  I have a wedge and a sledge hammer.  This is very effective in getting the stubborn logs split.

In no time at all, I've got a wagon-load of firewood split.  It's all pecan wood.  I'll keep splitting since it is cool, and I have momentum now.  I split three more wagon-loads after this one just to keep ahead.  On cold days, I'll get a fire roaring in the fireplace and we'll sit in front of it, shell pecans or read and relax.

Here is one of those fires I'm talking about right here.  After it is burning for a little while, I like to step outside and smell.  Pecan smoke is a nice, soothing fragrance.  Special note to self: I need to reserve some pecan chips to use on my smoker.  Pecan-smoked meat is a real treat!

Here is my wife enjoying the fire.

Nice, glowing coals in the fireplace CHECK
Feet up on the hearth                        CHECK
Comfortable chair                             CHECK
Cup of coffee                                    CHECK
Reading material                               CHECK
Afghan quilt, if needed                     CHECK


Looks like the checklist for a nice day!  There's nothing cozier than a fireplace!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...