Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Tomatoes, Peppers, and Eggplant Planting in January

Normally, I plan on planting our tomato, pepper and eggplant seeds on New Year's Day.  This year it didn't happen.  I'm six days late, but that's okay.  Better late than never, as the old saying goes.  This year I'm planting the following tomato varieties:

Roma, Mortgage Lifter, Creole, Pink Brandywine, Cherokee Purple, Chadwick Cherry, Black Krim and Big Rainbow organic.

This year (being late) I didn't do what I normally do and purchase Seed Starting Mix as the medium for planting the seeds.  I used what I had on hand, which was various types of potting soil.  We'll see if that works.  I plant two seeds per seed pot and I always label the seed pots with the variety and the date planted so that I can keep straight what is planted.

I'm also planting the following pepper plants:

Horizon (orange) bell, Hot Jalapeno, Craig's Grande Jalapeno, Anaheim, Banana, Lilac bell, Emerald Giant, and Criolla Sella.

Same thing here, they're labeled and planted two to a seed pot.

I covered with an eighth of an inch of soil and watered them in.  I did the same with Eggplant.  Last year's crop was a PHENOMENAL crop.  I'm hoping they do as well this year.  Unfortunately, I ran out of the Florida Market Eggplant and I'm using Southern Exposure Black Eggplant.  We'll see if this variety rivals the variety from last year.

Now we'll watch for germination.  I keep them inside when it is cool outside and once they germinate, I'll put them under grow lights.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...