Sunday, July 11, 2021

Truth in Advertising - Cajun Edition

A few weeks ago I went to the Piggly Wiggly in our town.  Actually, 'the Pig' changed its name to Lyons' Market.  It is a local supermarket, we know the owner, and I like doing business locally.  Although, I'll go, I'm not a fan of the size and of the crowds of Wally World and honestly, I do less than 2% of our family's grocery shopping.  Anyhow, I was looking for some charcoal.  Lately, I like using real lump charcoal, rather than the briquettes.  

After looking down the charcoal aisle at the different types of lump charcoal.  This non-descript brown bag of charcoal caught my eye:

A Little Goes a Long Way, it says.  Check.  Efficient.  Thrifty.  Economical.  My kind of product.

Environmentally Friendly.  Check.  We want to take care of God's creation.

No Chemical Additives.  Check.  We don't want our food cooked over chemicals or poison obviously.

Quality Cajun Products, it boasts.  Excellent.  Boudreaux & Thibodeaux have a business making charcoal.  As I like supporting local, this purchase seemed to be a no-brainer.  I carried the 10 pound bag to the check-out, paid for my purchase, and was on my way.

Once home, I unloaded it in the garage.  I flipped the bag over.  Wait a doggone minute.  The instructions for the charcoal were in English and Spanish.  Cajun Products in Spanish.  Que?  It would seem that Boudreaux and Thibodeaux would have instructions in Cajun French, no?

And then, I noticed it, in small print at the bottom of the bag:

Product of Mexico.  This was a scam!  Cajuns, in the diaspora, migrated (were exiled) from Nova Scotia to South Louisiana, not Mexico.  Here I was trying to support my people, and they just slapped the Cajun name on it to fool me.  No Truth in Advertising on this purchase, unfortunately.  I'll read the fine print while I'm in the store next time.  This was pas bon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...