Monday, March 8, 2021

A Couple Signs of Spring

Springtime in South Louisiana is very short.  Like, it is measured in nanoseconds.  You must be on your toes or you will flat out miss it.  You'll go from wearing a coat one day to being able to fry an egg on the dash of your car the next.  That's why it pays to be observant, enjoying the beautiful signs of spring before it's too late.

Temperatures are projected to top 80 degrees this week.  We showed photos yesterday of some fresh growth on the blueberry bushes.  While I was checking that out a couple of things caught my eye.  First, is our Japanese Magnolia.  This tree is a beautiful tree.  As it turned out, it was an expensive tree, but not the way you think.  Years ago we bought this tree and planted it in a nice spot.  We didn't really think things through.  I guess I'd better take the blame for that.  Anyway, the Japanese Magnolia quickly grew roots that grew into our plumbing lines.  Then they really thrived.  Then the plumbing was clogged up with the roots.  After putting the plumber's children through college, we were able to enjoy this tree again.

At this time of year it puts out some nice-looking blooms before there is a leaf on the tree.  They smell nice too.  These trees are a harbinger of spring... as well as plumbers' job security.

The next sign of spring are spring eggs!  With warmer weather, fresh green growth in the pasture, and more bugs and worms to eat on, the hens' egg production has doubled in the last month.  The pullets' eggs are still small, but they'll get bigger in short order.  Right now, we're separating the pullet eggs from the old layers.  We are eating the pullet eggs as well as giving them away.  We're selling the eggs from the older hens.  I don't want to sell the pullet eggs and upset any customers.

The pullet eggs are delicious - pretty too.  Below you can tell which pullet eggs come from the "Easter Egger" hens.  Some are green and some are blue.  I alternate them with the brown eggs from the brown eggs of the Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rock hens as it makes a visually appealing dozen eggs, don't you think?  Some do not!  One time I had a prospective customer that saw our "Country Eggs" For Sale sign and came knocking at our door.  When I opened a carton and showed her the eggs, she did NOT like the blue and green eggs.  In fact, she said, "No thanks" and drove off.  As I watched her drive off, all I could think was, "I do not like GREEN EGGS and ham.  I do not like them Sam I am."  I guess we're not supposed to quote Dr. Seuss anymore.  What a crazy world we live in.

Another sign of spring is that each day we're picking florets from our broccoli plants.  After harvesting the main head, the plant will continue throwing out florets.  If you don't harvest them quickly, they'll bloom yellow flowers and go to seed.  Every other day we go out and pick all the florets we can.  It is the gift that keeps on giving.  Tricia used the fresh spring eggs and broccoli florets to make a delicious quiche the other night!

Goodness gracious was it ever good!  Back in the 80's there was a book entitled, "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche."  I beg to differ.  I'm a real man and I devoured that quiche.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...