Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Three Blind Mice

Three blind mice. Three blind mice.

See how they run. See how they run.

They all ran after the farmer’s wife,

Who cut off their tails with a carving knife,

Did you ever see such a sight in your life,

As three blind mice?

When I was just a tiny tot, my Grandmother we named "Bumby" sang us this nursery rhyme.  The song was upbeat and perky.  It was very uplifting and invoked upon the listener a sense of happiness, peace and calm.  Yeah, no.  Nursery rhymes were disturbing, dark, and twisted.  

Practically speaking, however, rats and mice are vermin.  I make it part of my mission statement to eradicate (e-rat-icate) them from our property.  When the weather begins to cool, they seek refuge in our barn.  The barn is cozy, filled with hay for the winter - perfect for rat nests.  There is always some leftover grain that the rats devour.  They are nasty animals.  They carry disease.  They pee on the hay.  They make a mess.  Therefore, they must go.

I am not going to cut off their tails with a carving knife.  I trap them in my heavy duty rat traps.  These traps are deadly.  I bait the traps by smearing chunky peanut butter on them and set the trap.  You must be very careful.  If the hair-trigger goes off and snaps on your finger, it will break bones.  In the last six days, I have ended the lives of four rats...


SNAP!


CRACKLE!


POP!


These were all young rats.  Where young ones are, there are older ones.  I'll keep trying to kill them.  I don't want them blind.  I want them dead.  Perhaps listening to dark nursery rhymes as a child affected my civility.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...