Thursday, October 29, 2020

The Fall Garden is IN!

I'll post more photos this weekend, but I am pleased to say that the fall garden is all planted.  With the hurricanes and the rigors of work, it is an amazing thing - at one point I didn't even think I would have time to put in a fall garden, but it is done!  Granted, the Back to Eden Gardening method has really made gardening SO much easier.  It is essentially no-till, except for the narrow seedbed I prepare for each row.  Here are some radishes that are popping up out of the ground:

I have about one season of seeds saved in the freezer and some in other safe storage, but as I plant the seeds, I re-order the non-hybrid seed for next year.  One interesting thing that I'm noticing when trying to replenish my seed inventory is seed scarcity.  At several of the seed merchants I patronize, much of their seed is marked OUT OF STOCK.  I was still able to get a few items.

I haven't seen that before.  I figure that the Covid-19 scare has many people purchasing seeds.  Perhaps it is the civil unrest and government uncertainty that has prompted citizens to buy seed inventory until its out of stock.  Whatever the reason, it is a good idea to know how to save seed from your open pollinated seed stock.  I will re-double my efforts to build up my seed inventory this year.

In addition to ordering seeds, I placed my order for the onion sets I normally get (Short Day Sampler).  They'll come in the mail in early January.  I have a nice spot picked out for them.  We had a really good onion crop this past year and I'm looking for more of the same in the upcoming year.

We had a cool front that blew in bringing with it stellar weather.  I can't wait to work in the garden this weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...