Sunday, July 19, 2020

When Chickens Go Missing

Tricia mentioned to me that it seemed like our flock of hens seem to be dwindling in number.  We have found a few dead ones with their heads eaten off.  Mostly though, they are disappearing.  The last time we counted, we had over 100 birds.  Now Tricia estimates somewhere between 50 and 60. This hasn't really happened to our flock over the last decade.  Something's afoot! 

My first thought is that a predator is on the prowl, killing our birds, and taking off with them to the little patch of woods directly behind our property.  I pulled our cage trap out of the barn.  It is a cage trap that I bought for cheap at Harbor Freight.  I have caught many varmints with this thing.   There is an art to trapping animals.  Some are easy to catch - some not so much.  I put the trap on what appears to be a trail in the grass where animals walk repeatedly and I set it with cat food as the bait.  The animal walks in the trap, steps on a metal plate while advancing toward the food, and that closes the trap behind them.

What experience has taught me is that I'll catch the possums first.  They aren't smart at all and are always the first thing you catch.  Other animals are more intelligent and crafty.  A few years ago I caught the neighbor's cat, Smokey.  I had to call and let the neighbor know.  The trap doesn't hurt the animal.  Smokey was fine.  We'll set the trap out tonight and see what happens.


The next morning I walked out and found, just as we expected, a possum (or if we want to be formal - an opossum).  She was a small to medium sized critter.  She hissed at me.  I think she could definitely kill a chicken.  I know if left alone, would breed and produce many, many possums which could decimate our flock.  She must be dealt with.  I handle the job humanely.  I don't enjoy doing it, but if it is going to be the possum's life or my chickens' lives in peril, I will choose to give the possum a dirt nap any day and twice on Sunday.


If there is a small to medium sized one, then that means there is a big one out in the woods as well.  I re-set the trap that evening.  Lo and behold, we caught a bigger male, no doubt the dad to the previous occupant in our trap.  This guy was not happy about his predicament.  He had scratched up his nose trying to get out.  I got him out of the trap.  Let's just say we are hopefully solving our predator problem.


I reset the trap again this evening.  I'm shooting for the trifecta.  We will continue setting the trap until we stop catching critters.  I walked through the woods and see many holes.  I think most are possum and armadillo holes as well as rabbit holes.  Obviously rabbits and armadillos don't eat chickens.  I think the culprits are possums, coons, hawks, and owls.  Hopefully, I'll knock the population of chicken thieves down.  The chickens thanked me for my efforts as I walked back through the barnyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...