Thursday, September 19, 2019

Sometimes It's A Good Thing to Loaf Around

We have a half gallon mason jar we keep in the fridge with some sour dough starter in it.  At first glance, it looks like something that was on a back shelf that got forgotten about.


At second glance it even looks worse.  If you unscrew the top, there is a crusty formation on the rim and sides of the jar.  If you peer down into the jar, the concoction is bubbling.  If you put your nose next to the top of the jar, it smells...  GREAT!  The sour dough starter has a sour, but slightly sweet smell.


When I walked in from work, Tricia had just pulled a loaf of sourdough bread out of the proofer.  The bread had risen.  I reached out to touch it, but that wasn't a good idea.  You don't want it to fall.  We placed it in the oven and I went outside to pick purple hull peas, black-eyed peas, and okra.  My task was to be back inside in about twenty minutes to pull the hot loaf of sour dough bread out of the oven.


I walked back in to a wonderful aroma of fresh baked bread wafting through the kitchen.  I pulled the golden brown perfect loaf of bread out of the oven and admired it for a second.


Can we make it a little more perfect?  Yes.  Yes, we can.  We'll slather some butter over the top of the warm loaf of bread and allow it to melt into the top of the bread.

I'll stop the world and melt with you.  You've seen the difference and it's getting better all the time.
Some people don't like the heel of the bread.  I do.  It's my favorite part.  I like to cut a slice while it is still hot and put some more butter on it. 

Taking a bite out of crime
This is as good as it gets.  Who says it's a bad thing to loaf around?

2 comments:

  1. I'm new to your blog and reading this post this morning I am wishing I had a piece of hot crusty homemade bread. How I found your blog I was searching for a dewberry jelly recipe to use some of the deberries in my freezer for. Now I wish I had some of that bread with dewberry jelly on a hot buttered slice of that nice looking loaf of bread right now. The end pieces are my granddaughter and my favorites also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl, you are right! Simple things like hot homemade bread with butter are hard to beat. We only have 2 jars left of dewberries in the pantry. I was trying to ration them, but now you've given me an idea.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...