Tuesday, August 27, 2019

My Father's World

It is nice to go outside at sunset and just enjoy the colors in the stillness of the evening.  The day is done.  The chores are done.  It's time to slow down and just enjoy.  God is certainly an artist.  He created and designed it all and he just wants to share it with us.  We just have to take time out and watch.  Sadly, we often are moving too fast to enjoy Our Father's World.


"This is My Father's World" is a hymn written by Maltbie Babcock in 1901.  Mr. Babcock was a Presbyterian minister in New York, and he died when he was only 42 years old.  As I think about sunsets and enjoying God's Creation, it reminds me of Maltbie Babcock as he definitely took the time to observe His Father's World.  I read IN THIS ARTICLE the following:
"Hymnologist Kenneth Osbeck noted Babcock’s practice of “taking morning walks to the top of a hill north of town where he had a full view of Lake Ontario and the surrounding country.” It was said that he had a frequent expression before leaving for these walks, “I’m going out to see my Father’s world.”  
Here are the lyrics to this beautiful, old hymn:

This is my Father's world, 
 and to my listening ears 
 all nature sings, and round me rings 
 the music of the spheres.  
This is my Father's world:  
 I rest me in the thought 
 of rocks and trees, of skies and seas; 
 his hand the wonders wrought.

This is my Father's world, 
 the birds their carols raise, 
 the morning light, the lily white, 
 declare their maker's praise.  
This is my Father's world:  
 he shines in all that's fair; 
 in the rustling grass I hear him pass; 
 he speaks to me everywhere.

This is my Father's world.  
 O let me ne'er forget 
 that though the wrong seems oft so strong, 
 God is the ruler yet.  
This is my Father's world:  
 why should my heart be sad?  
 The Lord is King; let the heavens ring!  
 God reigns; let the earth be glad!


Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.  Praise Ye the LORD.  Psalm 150:6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...